Page 1 of 1

I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm
by Keggermeister
I am finally going to bite the bullet and go electric! :spilly:
I just ordered 2 element guard kits from StillDragon. I am mulling over how much control I want to have. I am sourcing the rest of the stuff as the element kits ship.
Will be welding in ferrules. Will need to borrow a 2" knockout tool from someone...
I will be bugging you guys as I build it, to locate the best deals/quality.
That said, I am going 220V as it is pretty close to my panel and more power is... MORE POWER! Planning A GFCI Breaker addition, will likely wire in a switch and outlet close to where I brew.
Let's talk elements! What do you run and where did you get it?

That is all for now.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:59 pm
by AllanMar
I run a 4500W and a 5500W in each kettle (50A setup). Its overkill, but its fast!

Just the basic camco elements, got em from Amazon.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 am
by mr x
I use 4700/4500 watt heatsticks I sourced off eBay. 5/8" OD, stainless.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am
by RubberToe
5500W ULWD Camco ripple element here. Amazon.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 am
by LiverDance
RubberToe wrote:5500W ULWD Camco ripple element here. Amazon.
same here

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am
by Jimmy
Camco 5500W ULWD Camco foldback.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Jimmy wrote:Camco 5500W ULWD Camco foldback.
Same, from Amazon

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm
by Tony L
I so would like to go electric, but at the moment I'm afraid it is impossible for me to do.

Good on ya, Nick.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 am
by jeffsmith
Starting to piece together items to go electric here as well. Considering the amount of time I have on my hands these days, I'm planning to order an assembled panel from eBrewSupply.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 am
by GuingesRock
If you don't want to make/buy a controller, you can use two elements for bringing to the boil and then turn one off when you get there and just use one to maintain the boil. In my case I am using the stove as one of the heat sources and a Boil Coil as the other. As soon as it gets to the boil I turn the stove off and the 2250 W 120V Boil Coil does a 12gal boil nicely.

The Brauemeister uses two heating elements. It must have a controller as well though.

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am
by jeffsmith
GuingesRock wrote:If you don't want to make/buy a controller, you can use two elements for bringing to the boil and then turn one off when you get there and just use one to maintain the boil. In my case I am using the stove as one of the heat sources and a Boil Coil as the other. As soon as it gets to the boil I turn the stove off and the 2250 W 120V Boil Coil does a 12gal boil nicely.

The Brauemeister uses two heating elements. It must have a controller as well though.
I believe the Braumeister does have a controller.

I'm looking for having much more control. One of the reasons I don't brew that often is that it's very difficult for me to find 5 solid hours to brew. With the eBrewSupply panel, I'll be able to monitor my brew day from my iPad, phone, etc. It'll let me fill up my HLT with water and make sure it's ready to go when I have time to mash in, etc. The panel uses the BCS embedded software.