Page 1 of 1

Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:16 pm
by Garak
I just went to put two beers into my new kegs only to discover the dip tube o-rings are rotten.

Anywhere to pick these up around town besides NG?

I can order McMaster stuff through work so I'll get a pack thrown on the order we are doing monday but I'd like to get atleast two kegs up and running tomorrow.
--
Garak

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:32 pm
by Jmac00
fastenal

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:34 pm
by Garak
Are they open on saturdays? Know the part number or size?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm
by Jmac00
#109 for dip tubes $4.78 qty 100
#111 for posts $4.95 qty 100

no idea if they're open on saturdays...maybe someone here still has some left from the last mcmaster-carr group buy? i'd give you some but i'm in NB ...lol

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:48 pm
by Garak
They are closed today so I went to NG and got some with the 1000% markup.

They won't seal, they are 1/2 the thickness of the ones I removed... I can't get the post to tighten any further down.

These are the single handle kegs and not the usual ones with the rubber all around the top.
2011-05-28 12.45.10_Dartmouth_Nova Scotia_CA.jpg
The one on the left is from NG and on the right is what was in the keg.
2011-05-28 12.44.33_Dartmouth_Nova Scotia_CA.jpg

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:37 pm
by mr x
That's a bit of a bastard...

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm
by Garak
X, I just made a gasket from the gore gr stuff you gave me but its still not getting a gas tight seal, it might be liquid tight, but its still slowly bubbling when I put soapy water around it.

So is the one from NG the same size as the ones from McMaster?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:12 pm
by mr x
Maybe try doubling or tripling the goretex. I've done that many times.

I've never had issues with the NG or McC rings...

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:13 pm
by Garak
Yea I just tried double, the stuff compresses like crazy so maybe 3 layers will work. Yep that did the trick, I can finally get my beer in kegs.

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 pm
by chalmers
The one on the right (double-seal) is the original dip tube, and the ones that I replace all of mine with. If you want some for future use, I've got lots of extras. That goes for anyone else!

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:19 pm
by Garak
chalmers:
Where did you get your dip tube o-rings? Know the part number?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:31 pm
by mr x
You forgot the most important thing, what's in the keg?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:25 pm
by chalmers
Garak wrote:chalmers:
Where did you get your dip tube o-rings? Know the part number?
McMaster-Carr:

9452K218 Keg top O-ring (10-pack) $12.69
90025K368 Double-seal O-ring (100-pack, diptube) 4.77
9396K24 post o-rings (silicone, red, 100-pk, post) $10.71

Yes, those diptube o-rings are less than a nickel each.

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 pm
by Garak
Chalmers:
Thanks, I'll get some of them put on the McMaster order going out tomorrow morning.

x:
The one we are drinking now started out as a blonde ale but I added way too much crystal 30. I can't even remember why I added crystal 30 at this point. Its got way to heavy of a mouth feel and I'm also not a huge fan of the hops.

This beer is cursed, on top of all the o-ring problems, the line has slipped off the bev out QD and sprayed me with beer then this morning QD somehow came loose in the fridge and leaked out onto the floor. Didn't loose too much but still made a pretty big mess.

I also have a red ale based on Hangin' Johnny Irish red ready to go in the keg but I'm going to wait until I get the proper o-rings for the kegs.

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm
by mr x
Ah yes, the old cursed beer. Been there...

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm
by Jmac00
Garak wrote:Chalmers:

This beer is cursed, on top of all the o-ring problems, the line has slipped off the bev out QD and sprayed me with beer then this morning QD somehow came loose in the fridge and leaked out onto the floor. Didn't loose too much but still made a pretty big mess.
are you using hose clamps?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm
by Garak
Yea that was my own fault. I was being lazy, didn't have a clamp on there and I was force carbonating at 30psi... The hose fits on the barbs pretty tight, just not tight enough for 30psi.

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 am
by Jmac00
shame on you :pow: blaming it all on the "cursed" beer. :spilly: :lol:

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am
by mr x
Just out of curiosity, how much c30 did you use? What was the yeast?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:38 pm
by Garak
It was a 5 gallon batch, I have no idea what I was thinking with this recipe:
3.5kg 2 Row
340g Cara-pills
500g Special Aromatic
500g Crystal 30L
Hall Tradition 25g boil 1hour 15.2 IBU
Hall Tradition 20g boil 5 min 2.4 IBU
Yeast was dry Danstar Nottingham

I'm using Brewtarget 1.2.2 to calculate everything.

Its not that horrible once you get past the first glass, its actually quite enjoyable after that. :cheers3:

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:49 pm
by mr x
lol, it's all good. Personally, I think the SA and cpils are the issues with that beer, but if it tastes good, jam it down. Live and learn. :cheers2:

Not familiar with brewtarget...who makes that?

Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:00 pm
by Garak
Brewtarget is free open source software. Not quite a feature full and easy to use as some of the commercial stuff out there, but its free.

Brewtarget (was Re: Where to get corny keg dip tube o-rings?

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 am
by derek
Garak wrote:Brewtarget is free open source software. Not quite a feature full and easy to use as some of the commercial stuff out there, but its free.
And it's free :-)

The biggest issue I've had with it is that its timer sucks. When I run its "brewday mode", I can't use it to time the steps because it uses some sort of busy wait-loop that can't find enough resources on the system to keep its clock anywhere even close to correct. I put Brewzor on my phone, and can't wait to find time for a brew weekend to try it out.

It's also vitally important with Brewtarget that when you modify a recipe, you rerun the mash wizard. How did my Scottish 60/- become 20/-, you ask?