Help - 1st extract with grains

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am
Name: Ryan Swinamer
Location: Hammonds Plains

Help - 1st extract with grains

Post by Swine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi,
Doing my first extract with grains tomorrow (I hope) and I can't for the life of me remember at what temp and how long to steep the grains for.
I am assuming that I don't have the grains in for the boil?
I will also assume the extract goes in after the grains have been steeped?
Appreciate the feedback, and be gentle...
:cheers2:

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Help - 1st extract with grains

Post by Tim Gregory » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Your not doing a true mash so the temps a little more forgiving. I'd guess shoot for high 60s/ low seventies (Celsius). Just try to stay below 80 or you might extract some astringency. Don't boil the grains for the same reason.
If you're not doing a full volume boil a lot of people recommend holding off about half of the extract until the last 15 minutes to avoid excess caramelization. The rest goes in when the boil begins
Have fun! :cheers:

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Help - 1st extract with grains

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 pm

When I was doing partials I went at 150F for 30minutes. As a suggestion as you are probably doing stove top. Preheat your oven to 150, when you start your steeping grains, stick the pot in the oven to maintain your temp.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am
Name: Ryan Swinamer
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Help - 1st extract with grains

Post by Swine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks gents.
Doing pot and burner outside to keep heat and smell down inside the house, hosting kids b-day party tomorrow, so it wouldn't be appreciated I am sure.
Thames again, answered my questions! :cheers:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests