Plastic conical from Fastrack
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:56 pm
FastRack FastFermenter
(Note that this isn't FastRack's design; it appears they've decided to become North American manufacturers/marketers/distributors for this "improved" version of the European V-Vessel Fermenter. But since I didn't seen any reference to that product here on the Brewnosers when I searched I figured this was fair game.)
A colleague at work sent me this asking my opinion; he's planning to get into brewing and where he's got no existing investment in gear is wondering whether this might be a place to start. He likes the wall mount and the lack of racking (although I'll be making sure he knows that racking is considered by many to be unnecessary these days).
My initial reaction was that it doesn't have many of the features that I've seen in SS conicals, with multiple ports being top of the list. But if I think about it, it does have the basic advantages of a conical: a reasonably airtight system, easy cleaning (compared to a carboy) and the ability to dump yeast. The camlock on the bottom, the thermowell and the wall mount are nice touches. My first thought was that you'd have trouble doing a cold ferment in there, but if the stand they're planning to offer is reasonable it should fit in a fermentation chamber.
The price is attractive at CDN$120 for the initial orders (looks like it'll be a little over $200 after that). You're not getting it until August though.
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I generally prefer stainless steel or glass to plastic. The SS Brewtech BrewBucket would have to be seen as a logical competitor to this.
What do folks think? Is trying to get into a conical at all in this price range a guaranteed lose? Or does this have enough compelling features, at least for someone starting out, to make it a strong consideration over buckets and carboys?
(Note that this isn't FastRack's design; it appears they've decided to become North American manufacturers/marketers/distributors for this "improved" version of the European V-Vessel Fermenter. But since I didn't seen any reference to that product here on the Brewnosers when I searched I figured this was fair game.)
A colleague at work sent me this asking my opinion; he's planning to get into brewing and where he's got no existing investment in gear is wondering whether this might be a place to start. He likes the wall mount and the lack of racking (although I'll be making sure he knows that racking is considered by many to be unnecessary these days).
My initial reaction was that it doesn't have many of the features that I've seen in SS conicals, with multiple ports being top of the list. But if I think about it, it does have the basic advantages of a conical: a reasonably airtight system, easy cleaning (compared to a carboy) and the ability to dump yeast. The camlock on the bottom, the thermowell and the wall mount are nice touches. My first thought was that you'd have trouble doing a cold ferment in there, but if the stand they're planning to offer is reasonable it should fit in a fermentation chamber.
The price is attractive at CDN$120 for the initial orders (looks like it'll be a little over $200 after that). You're not getting it until August though.
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I generally prefer stainless steel or glass to plastic. The SS Brewtech BrewBucket would have to be seen as a logical competitor to this.
What do folks think? Is trying to get into a conical at all in this price range a guaranteed lose? Or does this have enough compelling features, at least for someone starting out, to make it a strong consideration over buckets and carboys?