over carbbed keg.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 pm

So apparently I hooked a keg up and have a split line. Well I went to force carb a new keg and over carbed my pineapple ipa. I killed the co2 and released the pressure. How frequent should I purge the head space to stop my bear from being 90% foam? It settles I. A few mins bit is an annoyance at best.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 am

Pull the ring up and release pressure whenever you feel like it, or when you walk by. I think it will take a day or two. Nash told me you lose some of your volatiles doing that. Not a huge deal though I found. I had to carb up some of my real ale for the Big Spruce comp last autumn, then took it back down to 1 vol.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 am

Keith wrote:... to stop my bear from being 90% foam?
Image

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Broob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:01 am

RubberToe wrote:
Keith wrote:... to stop my bear from being 90% foam?
Image
:lol:
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks mark.
Hahaha Rob. My auto correct is possessed. Should of seen the word it sent jimmy last night.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:06 am

Adkins Traction was the auto correct for administration.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 am

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Brewnoser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:30 pm

What pressure is it at? If it's not too crazy you can refrigerate it - take it cold cold. Then crank regulator to pressure you want. Take it up in temp over a few days. It will bleed slowly as it warms.
----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks for the tio. Will remember that for next time. I killed the pressure and purged the headspace. Seemed to have done the trick.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:03 am

I am still having this issue with new kegs. I'm beginning to believe this may be a line length issue, and it's just not balanced.

I am running at 46F, with 4 and 5' lines, psi is at 14 to give me approx 2.3 volumes of co2. Elevation isn't much with 3" from the keg post. After looking at a calculator. I read I should have 11' lines.

I think it may be the next step to resolve.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 am

Yeah 46 is fairly warm, would need longer lines for that length - I've got 10' with my fridge at 4C (40F) and 12psi
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 am

I'm going to try and cool it a bit more. I increased it because the back kegs were freezing, but I was only previously serving at 8 psi.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Yeah 46 is fairly warm, would need longer lines for that length - I've got 10' with my fridge at 4C (40F) and 12psi
Same exact settings here.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Looks like I'll be making some line adjustments. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:54 am

Lowered the temp on the fridge, and dropped psi to 12. See how this works later.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:00 am

roger. if the back kegs are freezing, maybe a small 12V fan to circulate the air better? or make sure the back kegs are touching the walls of the fridge (if thats where the cooling comes from). if the back kegs are getting colder than the front ones, you'd likely having less foaming issue with them too. just my 2cents
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: over carbbed keg.

Post by Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:18 pm

This is the foaming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests