Page 1 of 1

WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:39 am
by RubberToe
I have one small jar of Denny's Favorite 50 that I dumped from the conical this week. I'm not planning on using it again any time soon as there's other yeasts I want to use. If anyone wants it you're free to have it. I recommend making a starter. I used it in a brown ale BTW.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrai ... cfm?ID=201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seemed to ferment at about the speed of US-05 for me.

WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 am
by mumblecrunch
That's on my list of yeasts to try; I'd happily take it off your hands.

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:02 pm
by RubberToe
mumblecrunch wrote:That's on my list of yeasts to try; I'd happily take it off your hands.
Great. I should be around all weekend (Dartmouth). I'm not sure if I'm going to the gathering on Saturday.

-Rob

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:13 pm
by mumblecrunch
I finally used the yeast Rob gave me in my March exchange beer. I managed to wash the yeast afterwards as well. I've got three jars up for grabs if anyone is interested; I'm expecting to be at the meeting on Tuesday night and could bring it along then.

Like Rob, I found this fermented at about the rate of US-05.

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 pm
by Celiacbrew
mumblecrunch wrote:I finally used the yeast Rob gave me in my March exchange beer. I managed to wash the yeast afterwards as well. I've got three jars up for grabs if anyone is interested; I'm expecting to be at the meeting on Tuesday night and could bring it along then.

Like Rob, I found this fermented at about the rate of US-05.

I would like to try this yeast. Can I grab a jar on Tuesday at the meeting?

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 pm
by mumblecrunch
Celiacbrew wrote:I would like to try this yeast. Can I grab a jar on Tuesday at the meeting?
You certainly can.

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 am
by McGruff
How is the attenuation with this yeast?

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:32 am
by RubberToe
It's not under attenuating by any means. I'd say med to med-high. The specs say 74-76%.

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:05 pm
by mumblecrunch
For what it's worth the beer I made with it started at 1.063 and finished at 1.010ish for an AA in the low- to mid-80s. Mash temp was 154F.

Flocculates pretty nicely too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425740687.215178.jpg

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm
by Celiacbrew
Aaron I walked out and forgot to say thank you for the yeast. Sorry about that. Thanks for the yeast, I will bring a sample of whatever it produces. Assuming it is drinkable.

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:21 pm
by mumblecrunch
Celiacbrew wrote:Aaron I walked out and forgot to say thank you for the yeast. Sorry about that. Thanks for the yeast, I will bring a sample of whatever it produces. Assuming it is drinkable.
No worries, I'm just trying to pay it along the way it came to me from RubberToe. Won't say no to a future sample though :D

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:31 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
The ol yeast starter triangle scheme - soon you'll be bathing in unlimited beer, all fermented from Denny's 50

I'll share a bottle of whatever the extra one ferments.