What Malts Do You Like?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
What Malts Do You Like?
What malts do people really like using? Anyone tried anything unusual and liked it?
Last edited by GuingesRock on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Malts You Like
2 row!
Just kidding. Victory, Munich and Vienna are three of mine. I would like to try some of the dehusked roast though.
Sandy
Just kidding. Victory, Munich and Vienna are three of mine. I would like to try some of the dehusked roast though.
Sandy
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Malts You Like
So far, I've preferred to use flavourful base malts and tended to avoid speciality malts. I like using MO with dark Munich. 100% pilsner is another favorite.
I've only used Bairds MO and wondered if Thomas Faucet is better.
I've only used Bairds MO and wondered if Thomas Faucet is better.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: Malts You Like
Pearl from the UK and Wyermanns Pils malt. Muntons crystal 60 is a new favourite too.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Malts You Like
Here’s some interesting UK Pale malts. I'm wondering whether to try one instead of MO in an ordinary bitter. I included Marris Otter in the list for comparison. UK Pearl is the base for Heady Topper.
Optic Pale Malt: A floor-malted barley malt from a single barley variety (Optic), and produced by a centuries-old, family-owned maltster. Optic is another malt considered to be one of the last of the traditional English Pale malt varieties still produced in the UK. Adds a degree of biscuit flavor. Brighter and lighter in flavor than Pearl, a great malt for the production of Real Ales.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale
Possible Substitution(s): None
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gilbertson & Page Marris Otter: This variety has long been a favorite of English brewers for its rich flavor and very forgiving brewing performance. Since this malt is fully modified, a protein rest is not necessary. This is a very popular base malt used in pale ales, bitters, porters, IPAs, stouts, barleywines and Scottish ales. Excellent yields and efficient run off make it the malt of choice for producing English style beers.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, IPA, Pale Ale, Porter, Stout
Possible Substitution(s): 2-Row, Golden Promise, Pale Ale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Halcyon Pale Ale Malt is considered to be one of the last remaining "traditional" English Pale Malts. It adds a degree of biscuit flavor to the beer and a brighter and lighter flavor than Pearl. Halcyon is a barley variety that was bred from the Maris Otter and Sargent barley varieties. It tends to produce a less sweet wort than Maris Otter.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, Lager
Possible Substitution(s): Maris Otter, Pale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearl malt will impart rich, bready, and malty characteristics into your brew. It is a single strand English base malt with slightly less biscuit flavour than Maris Otter. Pearl Malt may be used as 100% of the grain bill. Great for use in all styles of English Ales.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale
Possible Substitution(s): None
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Optic Pale Malt: A floor-malted barley malt from a single barley variety (Optic), and produced by a centuries-old, family-owned maltster. Optic is another malt considered to be one of the last of the traditional English Pale malt varieties still produced in the UK. Adds a degree of biscuit flavor. Brighter and lighter in flavor than Pearl, a great malt for the production of Real Ales.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale
Possible Substitution(s): None
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gilbertson & Page Marris Otter: This variety has long been a favorite of English brewers for its rich flavor and very forgiving brewing performance. Since this malt is fully modified, a protein rest is not necessary. This is a very popular base malt used in pale ales, bitters, porters, IPAs, stouts, barleywines and Scottish ales. Excellent yields and efficient run off make it the malt of choice for producing English style beers.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, IPA, Pale Ale, Porter, Stout
Possible Substitution(s): 2-Row, Golden Promise, Pale Ale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Halcyon Pale Ale Malt is considered to be one of the last remaining "traditional" English Pale Malts. It adds a degree of biscuit flavor to the beer and a brighter and lighter flavor than Pearl. Halcyon is a barley variety that was bred from the Maris Otter and Sargent barley varieties. It tends to produce a less sweet wort than Maris Otter.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, Lager
Possible Substitution(s): Maris Otter, Pale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearl malt will impart rich, bready, and malty characteristics into your brew. It is a single strand English base malt with slightly less biscuit flavour than Maris Otter. Pearl Malt may be used as 100% of the grain bill. Great for use in all styles of English Ales.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale
Possible Substitution(s): None
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: Malts You Like
What about Golden Promise? Available from both Simpsons and Thomas Fawcett. It's a Scottish malt used for brewing and distilling. Apparently produces a sweeter, less biscuity wort than MO. I've used it in a several of the brews I've done including a Scottish 80/-, an APA and an American Amber. Unfortunately I can't comment on how it compares to MO because I haven't used MO yet. There's definitely a difference in sweetness between it and regular North American 2-row; might be a way to get a little more sweetness/body into a Pale or IPA for those allergic to CrystalGuingesRock wrote:Here’s some interesting UK Pale malts. I'm wondering whether to try one instead of MO in an ordinary bitter. I included Marris Otter in the list for comparison. UK Pearl is the base for Heady Topper.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: What Malts Do You Like?
That's an interesting thought. I didn't include because I didn't want the bitter to end up being like a Scottish Ale, the word sweetness put me off in the description, but you could be right.
Golden Promise is a traditional Pale Ale Malt grown in Scotland. It produces sweet, mellow wort and is excellent for both brewing and distilling.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, Lager
Possible Substitution(s): Halcyon, Maris Otter, Pale Ale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/gold ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golden Promise is a traditional Pale Ale Malt grown in Scotland. It produces sweet, mellow wort and is excellent for both brewing and distilling.
Typical Beer Style(s): Ale, Lager
Possible Substitution(s): Halcyon, Maris Otter, Pale Ale, more...
http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/gold ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: What Malts Do You Like?
2row...mo...vienna and Munich
Crystal 20 for my apa
Crystal 20 for my apa
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: What Malts Do You Like?
That's a hard question to answer. I also like to stick mostly to base malts and rely more on processes for flavour rather than specialty malts, but of course then there are styles like stout, porter, ESB, brown, red ale, etc., that can't be made without them.
I use most of the base malts, and most of the more traditional, easy to find specialty malts, like crystals, roasted, and toasted malts. There are a lot I've never used though, like honey malt, coffee malt, special roast, roasted wheat, etc. If I can't get it at NG or from Dave, I'm not interested.
As far as favourites, I like brown malt, but it only makes it into a handful of my beers, in the last year or so it's only been in my scottish light and old ale. It's got a nice sourdough dark toastiness to it, but it doesn't work in every style. Oats are another favourite, although it's not a malt. It ends up in most of my stouts and porters.
I use most of the base malts, and most of the more traditional, easy to find specialty malts, like crystals, roasted, and toasted malts. There are a lot I've never used though, like honey malt, coffee malt, special roast, roasted wheat, etc. If I can't get it at NG or from Dave, I'm not interested.
As far as favourites, I like brown malt, but it only makes it into a handful of my beers, in the last year or so it's only been in my scottish light and old ale. It's got a nice sourdough dark toastiness to it, but it doesn't work in every style. Oats are another favourite, although it's not a malt. It ends up in most of my stouts and porters.
- Graham.C
- Verified User

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm
- Name: Graham Clark
- Location: Ottawa ON
Re: What Malts Do You Like?
I just brewed up a standard bitter with GP last fall. I really liked it. MO and Munich make fine friends as GuingesRock pointed out. I don't know if I have a favorite though, so many are good in small doses.
-Graham
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: What Malts Do You Like?
All of them have their time and place, except for peat smoked malt, that stuff is vile
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 20 guests