Mold in Fermentation Chamber
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Mold in Fermentation Chamber
So I got busy and I kind of forgot about a couple of batches for a while. I opened up the fermentation freezer and as the title says there's mold in the chamber.
The carboys are glass and the airlocks are still full of starsan so I'm wondering if the batches are screwed or if there's a chance they're still ok. I haven't tasted or smelled them yet.
What are people doing to combat moisture in their fermentation chambers?
The carboys are glass and the airlocks are still full of starsan so I'm wondering if the batches are screwed or if there's a chance they're still ok. I haven't tasted or smelled them yet.
What are people doing to combat moisture in their fermentation chambers?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
I just gave them each a whiff and they don't smell off. I'm going to go ahead and keg them anyway, but hold off on giving them any co2 until I hear back
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- adams81
- Verified User

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
- Name: Geoff
- Location: Clayton Park, NS
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
If I had a fermentation chamber I would use Damprid from CT. It is a dessicant (CaCl2 I think) that you would just place in the chamber. I use it in my keezer and it works great.
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
cool, I'll be sure to get some of that
I pulled a sample of each as I filled the kegs and they didn't taste noticeably off... worst case ontario I have some sacrificial suds to give to moochers I don't want coming back for more
I pulled a sample of each as I filled the kegs and they didn't taste noticeably off... worst case ontario I have some sacrificial suds to give to moochers I don't want coming back for more
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
Its happened to be before and the beer turned out fine. The spores would have a hard time making it in there with an airlock with sanitizer. Next time, you might want to spray around the bung before you take it off to kill anything on the surface.
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
I'll take those off your hands to dump since they are obviously ruinedbluenose wrote:I just gave them each a whiff and they don't smell off. I'm going to go ahead and keg them anyway, but hold off on giving them any co2 until I hear back
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
What cartoonCod said. I would have pulled it out,wiped the carboys down,let the air settle, then transferred.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
-
MarkPower
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm
- Name: Mark Power
- Location: Elmsdale, NS
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
Dollarama sells a knock off Damprid that I use in my fermentation chamber. Completely fixed up the moisture issue for me.
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
I'm going to pick up an Eva-Dry 500 http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry ... umidifier/ for my keezer / part-time fermentation chamber. I like that it's reusable/rechargeable, nothing to dump/replace, sounds like it lasts a long time.
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber
I've got one. Works great, damp rid would freeze up on me. Got mine at kentmikeorr wrote:I'm going to pick up an Eva-Dry 500 http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry ... umidifier/ for my keezer / part-time fermentation chamber. I like that it's reusable/rechargeable, nothing to dump/replace, sounds like it lasts a long time.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest