A spot to talk general homebrew
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Hop Hash

Post by NASH » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
wortly wrote:Another thing to consider with this stuff is that it is pretty much water insoluble

...but is it alcohol insoluble? will the alcohol in the beer do the trick.
Of course, that's basically what I was saying. Beer ain't water. Its the same as dry-hopping.

Transmitted from the Hop-phone.

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:25 pm

NASH wrote: I considered that but don't think I'll go that route in the firkin. If you can dry-hop, you can dry-hash. It'll dissolve with a little time, same as using whole hops.

Excellent point. The extraction efficiency will be affected by the temperature and alcohol %. We were just thinking of using alcohol to turn it into sludge so that it didn't end up like a chunk of bullion in cold water and end up clogging something. I'm pretty stoked to hear how this ends up for people.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:40 am

wortly wrote:
NASH wrote: I considered that but don't think I'll go that route in the firkin. If you can dry-hop, you can dry-hash. It'll dissolve with a little time, same as using whole hops.

Excellent point. The extraction efficiency will be affected by the temperature and alcohol %. We were just thinking of using alcohol to turn it into sludge so that it didn't end up like a chunk of bullion in cold water and end up clogging something. I'm pretty stoked to hear how this ends up for people.
Okay the firkin is dosed and will be on this Wednesday.

Wortly, the hashish is denser than I thought. I had only opened my sample bag and checked a little bit out at the top, which was gummy and perhaps a bit fluffy. When I actually opened the bag to weigh out my dose, it was compacted and dense (save for the bit at the top of the bag). Sooooo, I dropped it into 1/2 oz of vodka. it didn't exactly melt into solution. I left it soak for a while but I think it should have been soaked a day ahead of time as it still didn't want to break down that well. I added a cup of boiling water and that melted it down pretty good. Once I saw that had worked reasonably well I dosed it into the firkin with sugar and bunged it up. The hash smells wonderful. Should be interesting!

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:01 am

Oh man. I really wish I was close to Halifax this week! I'll chat with JM to see if there might be an easier way to "fluff" it.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am

2nd run Shine is the answer! :lol:

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Name: Michael Orr

Post by mikeorr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am

NASH wrote: Okay the firkin is dosed and will be on this Wednesday.
Is the Deadwood Wheat with hop hash still a go for today's Firkin Wednesday? 4pm, right? I should have just enough time to swing by after work for a bite and a drink and then rush home for my last curling game of the season... :rockin:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:08 am

mikeorr wrote:
NASH wrote: Okay the firkin is dosed and will be on this Wednesday.
Is the Deadwood Wheat with hop hash still a go for today's Firkin Wednesday? 4pm, right? I should have just enough time to swing by after work for a bite and a drink and then rush home for my last curling game of the season... :rockin:
Yes sir, it's on today!

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 am

I'm trying to raise the forces. I was there at 4:15 last week but no firkin and wifey was picking me up at 5:00.

I recieved a bag of F-cap last night and will bring some to the RB.

Sandy

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 am

Nice. I'll have words with the firkin cracker about having it done at 4 pm when its supposed to be. My apologies Sandman. First I've heard of it.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I thought you were late. Just giving you the gears.

Sandy

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Not me, pal :lol:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Hop Hash.JPG

http://rockbottombrewpub.blogspot.ca/20 ... esday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm

I should be there around 5, save some for me :spilly:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I'll be there soon. None for you Brian.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Did you ever find out what hops it was from?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:28 am

^
Plus, how was the Hashified Deadwood Wheat?
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 am

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bubble+h ... 24&bih=614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lol
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:42 am

Not very. Mike Orr, Tim Feeley and I had to A-B with the original beer to detect the differences. Greg said it made his tongue numb but I didn't get that.

Sandy

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 pm

There wasn't much going on, a little different mouthfeel and aroma from the original but nothing like I was expecting with those specs on the hash.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Kind of funny - I had the idea about two years ago to make hop has with bubble bags. Wrote in to the Brewing Network Sunday Session asking if they knew of this being done before. I believe the on-air answer was something to the effect of "you need to stop smoking so much weed, you drunk stoner" hahahaha

At least now I know it can be done! I think I'll be trying this with some of my home grown hops this summer.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Jayme wrote:Kind of funny - I had the idea about two years ago to make hop has with bubble bags. Wrote in to the Brewing Network Sunday Session asking if they knew of this being done before. I believe the on-air answer was something to the effect of "you need to stop smoking so much weed, you drunk stoner" hahahaha

At least now I know it can be done! I think I'll be trying this with some of my home grown hops this summer.
So you are the smart one and they are the idiots, and they thought it was the other way around.

:cheers:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Potentially I think! It was a pretty funny bit. If I can remember which episode it was, I will post a clip.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 am

Jayme wrote:I had the idea about two years ago to make hop has with bubble bags. Wrote in to the Brewing Network Sunday Session asking if they knew of this being done before. I believe the on-air answer was something to the effect of "you need to stop smoking so much weed, you drunk stoner" hahahaha
:lol: :lol:

Awesome. Post the clip, ha

Miss you drunk stoners!!

shaitan

Post by shaitan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Hops hash results...

I know some of you have had less than satisfactory results from the hops hash "dryhashing" thus far, but this is explained via lupulin gland morphology and basic solubility chemistry.

The lupulin glands (see attached photos) are like little hollow wasps nests or balloons, where all the good stuff (resins, oils, alphas+betas) accumulate inside the hollow interior, and with the whole thing being surrounded by a layer of pretty much impermeable wax/resin. If you "dryhash" with hops hash, the small amount of ethanol (5-10%) present in the beer is insufficient to permeate into the gland and extract the compounds of interest. Regular dryhopping uses pelletized hops, where some of the lupulin glands have been mechanically disrupted by sheer forces, heating, and drying of the tissues, and thus a percentage of the resins/oils are released into the beer. Hopping during the boil (where no ethanol is present for extraction) also breaks down the lupulin glands via heat.

I made a 0.5 gram hops hash extract in ethanol (100%), and added a small amount (5mL) to a finished beer to see the effects. The results were pretty astounding. The whole beer went cloudy/turbid, forming an emulsion, due to the high amount of resins extracted; it looked like chicken noodle soup or a wheat beer. The neck of the bottle was actually coated in a greasy film, due to the oils extracted. The taste was a pleasant pineapple/citrus, with none of the usual danky hops funk, grassy notes and no bitterness, with a lingering burn at the back of the throat...(I might have to work on dosage).

I would suggest making hops hash ethanol extracts...40% vodka is probably not enough...find a buddy who makes shine :) ... and add the ethanol extract just prior to bottling/kegging. If you can't get your hands on high proof spirits, you could try heating the hops hash or grinding it first, prior to "dryhopping."

Hope this adds to the discussion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 am

That was a thought I had had (make an alchol slury) but I figured the folks who had it would know better than I.

Where can we get some of this for our own experiments?

Sandy

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”