Brewha 3-in-1 kettle & jacketed conical (BIAC)

A spot to talk general homebrew
AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Allan

Re: Brewha 3-in-1 kettle & jacketed conical

Post by AllanMar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm

GuingesRock wrote:I suppose the pot wouldn't be big enough to BIAB a 10 Gal batch, even if it did turn out to be practical to BIAB in there.
As mentioned earlier, they do offer a "BIAC" option.

http://brewha.co/collections/biac/products/biac-package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I think I might be tempted to use a drop in boil element. What that would allow is a screen insert in the bottom, which I believe you might need. This would allow a large removal of dense hop/break material, which I think would not be so easy to remove out the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 am

Did you find out the bore of the bottom dump tap. Can you put a bigger one on?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am

I haven't. I think the opening is 1.5", but the valve looks narrower. I *think* I could switch to a butterfly valve with less restriction...I don't know much about these valves though, so I could be wrong.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by AllanMar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am

If it's a 1.5" it should be 1.5" opening. That said, stout-tanks and others things do have weird 1.5" flange, 3/4" bore valves so it's worth asking.

Butterfly valves actually have more restriction when open, as the butterfly portion does block some of the opening (but they're alot better for cleaning/sanitizing IMHO). Ball valves will be restriction free when fully opened.

I have a 1" TC with a 1" butterfly bottom drain on my kettles, and have no problem rinsing grain/hops/break through it. I'd imagine a 1.5" drain shouldnt be an issue.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 am

But you won't be rinsing in this case. You'll be dealing with a dense mass of hops and break material that needs to gravity drain. Might be difficult...

At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 am

I'm using this as my basis. They advertise 1.5" triclover, but this is the valve included..it definitely steps down on the inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am

This picture shows the inside of the valve better
valve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 am

sleepyjamie wrote:I'd like to get a 20 gallon or 25 gallon conical. Problem is I don't know if it would fit in Tim's basement haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you buy it (and the associated fermentation temperature control equipment) I'll find a way to get it into my basement! :)

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am

That's a 1.5" outlet on the bottom, looks stepped down into a smaller ball valve and nipple. You could swap the ball valve for a butterfly easy enough, and only use the nipple if you wanted to for transfers etc. You won't have much trouble dumping the crap from a 1.5" ball or butterfly, it's standard issue on pretty large brewery tanks. I've worked with a LOT of 40,000 - 60,000 L tanks around these parts with 1.5" bottom drain butterfly valves. Occasionally if the lower pipe becomes clogged with dry-hop and/or protein matter I'd pressurize the tank to blow it out, generally takes 10 PSI or less to free it up.

:cheers2:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm talking about boil kettle sludge. By the time I'm done recirculating and cooling, I wouldn't bet that will dump hop bomb level hop/whirlfloc/break material. That stuff goes to cement in my kettle.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm not sure how that would be. I mean, I've always drained everything through my 1/2" ball valve and into my fermenter with my current setup, though it's likely different where this would be draining from underneath the sludge. Maybe the extra 1" in diameter and the ability to pressurize would fix that?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Might, hard to say. Depending on how fluid it stays, might be OK. Pressure could make the problem worse if it packs in too hard.

I know that if I ever move to a system like that, it will have a drop in element, and a cone insert for the b/k stage.

We all brew different, so nothings guaranteed...I'd ask them though.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Dump the hops and trub 10-15 mins after the boil is done, it won't have time to compact much. You could dump in stages; take the heavy particulate a few minutes after flame-out, let it settle 10 mins and dump again etc. You get the idea. Worst case scenario, apply a little pressure, compacting trub won't be an issue when there's an open 1.5" hole at the bottom. You can always blow a little co2 directly into the bottom outlet to loosen it up too.

Transmitted from the Hop-phone.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Jimmy, once you are setup with this let me know. When I visit in the summer I'd like to take a look at the system.

I'm in the process of evaluating different systems and likely will upgrade to something or more commercial quality in the next 1-2 years.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Question re jacketed conical vs. jacketed pot. How important is it to be able to harvest yeast from the bottom and to dump the trub/hops. Does it harm the beer to sit on the yeast and spent hops? (I don’t think so). Is it worth the extra expense and the more complicated equipment with extra cleaning and sanitization. My preference is to use a setup like the pot one for boiling and a 4 - 7 day primary ferment, and then keg for keg conditioning. Then the system is ready for the next batch. Fermentation temperature control for ales is only required for the first 4 days or so. Top cropping is an option for yeast harvesting with the simple pot, if yeast harvesting is required, ...simply lift up the lid and scoop with a sanitized spoon.
-Mark

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by AllanMar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Question re jacketed conical vs. jacketed pot. How important is it to be able to harvest yeast from the bottom and to dump the trub/hops. Does it harm the beer to sit on the yeast and spent hops? (I don’t think so). Is it worth the extra expense and the more complicated equipment with extra cleaning and sanitization. My preference is to use a setup like the pot one for boiling and a 4 - 7 day primary ferment, and then keg for keg conditioning. Then the system is ready for the next batch. Fermentation temperature control for ales is only required for the first 4 days or so. Top cropping is an option for yeast harvesting with the simple pot, if yeast harvesting is required, ...simply lift up the lid and scoop with a sanitized spoon.
This is near commercial level equipment with all sanitary fittings and welds. It should be extremely easy to keep sanitized/clean (not more difficult as you keep implying), I know everyone has their preference and you like your way of doing things but there is no comparison IMHO. There's reasons the pro's use conicals after all...

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Fermentors (both old wooden ones and new SS) in a famous UK brewery I visited last summer. Not looking that conical shaped. Yeast was top cropped from those fermenters.

I was genuinely interested in a discussion regarding one vs. the other. "There's reasons" isn't much of an answer.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by AllanMar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Fermentors (both old wooden ones and new SS) in a famous UK brewery I visited last summer. Not looking that conical shaped. Yeast was to cropped from those fermenters.

I was genuinely interested in a discussion regarding one vs. the other. "There's reasons" isn't much of an answer.
Nice pictures, surely your not trying to make the point conicals are not the most popular fermenters for commercial breweries based on these pictures....

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Not all yeasts are able to too crop. Which is probably one reason why many commercial breweries use conicals.

On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 pm

And too cropping in large scale commercial from what I've read in beer historical books is not an easy process and leads to increased risk of infection.

On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 am

sleepyjamie wrote:Not all yeasts are able to too crop. Which is probably one reason why many commercial breweries use conicals.

That makes sense.

One other small question. You can wash a 16 gal pot in a sink with a spray hose and let the trub/yeast/hops etc go down the garberator, at least that's what I do. How would you wash the conical with its legs attached? Would you need a hose and a floor drain? Maybe if I had one of those conicals I could still lay it down on the draining board and spray it out .
-Mark

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am

I'd be washing with caustic and acid.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 am

Jimmy, did you think about how to wash the conical. I thought a gallon or two of cleaner in there and then dump into a bucket might work. Same process for rinsing.

I think both the jacketed conical and the jacketed pot are good ideas. If I was going to get one or the other, I can’t decide which would be better for me personally. I do 7 day ferment as mentioned and if I dry hop it is the last three days of that week and then the beer is pulled off the hops. In Nash’s dry hopping post, he mentions advantages of having the dry hops in for only 3 days and then removing them; so if one were planning to do a ferment for longer than one week in there, with multiple dry hop additions, then it would be an advantage to have the conical with the dump tap to dump the dry hops each time. Also I don’t harvest yeast so I don’t need the dump tap for that, but I know many do.

I’m also wondering …are you making this a 2 vessel system with a separate mash pot?
-Mark

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 am

GuingesRock wrote:Jimmy, did you think about how to wash the conical. I thought a gallon or two of cleaner in there and then dump into a bucket might work. Same process for rinsing.

I think both the jacketed conical and the jacketed pot are good ideas. If I was going to get one or the other, I can’t decide which would be better for me personally. I do 7 day ferment as mentioned and if I dry hop it is the last three days of that week and then the beer is pulled off the hops. In Nash’s dry hopping post, he mentions advantages of having the dry hops in for only 3 days and then removing them; so if one were planning to do a ferment for longer than one week in there, with multiple dry hop additions, then it would be an advantage to have the conical with the dump tap to dump the dry hops each time. Also I don’t harvest yeast so I don’t need the dump tap for that, but I know many do.

I’m also wondering …are you making this a 2 vessel system with a separate mash pot?

I'm not sure yet as to how I'd clean the conical. I'll try the manual method first to see how it works..if I find it to be a bit of work I could likely just install a CIP spray ball like in the video below.

And yes, I still plan on mashing in my cooler that I normally use and will follow a no sparge full volume mash (that's how I currently brew).

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”