Post a picture of your pint!

A spot to talk general homebrew
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post a picture of your pint!

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

No Brett. Keith calls it Funktown but generally uses US-05 (and that's what I used). I think he did one batch with the Funktown yeast and the name stuck. If I'm not mistaken he's got a split batch on now with US-05, Funktown, and Conan. So if he doesn't have an answer now he will in a few weeks ;)

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Post a picture of your pint!

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:28 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:No Brett. Keith calls it Funktown but generally uses US-05 (and that's what I used). I think he did one batch with the Funktown yeast and the name stuck. If I'm not mistaken he's got a split batch on now with US-05, Funktown, and Conan. So if he doesn't have an answer now he will in a few weeks ;)
Ah, I was under the impression the funktown name was reserved for the APA brewed with funktown :lol:

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Jimmy wrote: Ah, I was under the impression the funktown name was reserved for the APA brewed with funktown :lol:
Yeah so was I originally. But I'm pretty sure he won the gold medal with US-05. And at that point he gets to call it whatever he wants, even if it confuses the rest of us mooks. :)

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:14 pm

So I have Funktown APA with us05, Funktown, and Conan. It got the name when I used the Funktown and it stuck. Bring your version to the meeting if you can. Would love to try it
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:35 am

Had the Abashiri Okhotsk Blue tonight ... it is both a blue beer (gross) and a happoshu (not really beer - brewed with low percentage of barley to avoid being taxed as a beer. see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happoshu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). It was as unoffensively mediocre as you can imagine.
DSC_0060.JPG
blue.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Whyte

Post by jtmwhyte » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Had the Abashiri Okhotsk Blue tonight ... it is both a blue beer (gross) and a happoshu (not really beer - brewed with low percentage of barley to avoid being taxed as a beer. see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happoshu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). It was as unoffensively mediocre as you can imagine.
DSC_0060.JPG
blue.jpg
"I thought Romulan Ale was illegal" lol
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Double Bock kind of a night
DSCF5113.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why brew beer I can buy?

Bluefin 774
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by Bluefin 774 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:11 pm

This is a glass of my very first all grain brew. I've been brewing kits for quite a while now. It was fun but I shagged it up while brewing it. I messed up on the water amounts for sparging and had to add more water later. I also forgot to take gravities. It was an OBK Session IPA but I renamed it "Shagged Up Session IPA" It actually turned out great...I just wish I knew how I did it :D
Take care, Bluefin.

Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch

Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:

Up Next: ?

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 pm

The first batch is always the best. will be a few brews and you'll be comfortable
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Bluefin 774
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by Bluefin 774 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Yes Keith,
I was just trying to keep everything going while cleaning up the same time. I should have followed a brew day list that I did have printed but didn't use. I did keep notes on most things I did that day. My next brew day will be much smoother for sure. :cheers:
Take care, Bluefin.

Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch

Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:

Up Next: ?

jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Whyte

Post by jtmwhyte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Bluefin 774 wrote:Yes Keith,
I was just trying to keep everything going while cleaning up the same time. I should have followed a brew day list that I did have printed but didn't use. I did keep notes on most things I did that day. My next brew day will be much smoother for sure. :cheers:
Keith is so right. It took me 5 years to settle on a system and "dial it in" the way I want it.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

Post by dexter » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 pm

:rockin:

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Simple pale ale using the NZ Waimea hops.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Having some of my mosaic pale ale
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Hop Riot
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444514395.684186.jpg

becik
Name: Piotr

Post by becik » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am

my first lichtenhainer style in my life....
brewed in Poland

about beer:
Historical Beer: Lichtenhainer
Aroma: Moderately strong fresh smoky aroma, light hints of sourness, medium-low fruity esters, possibly apples or lemons, moderate bready-grainy malt. The smoke character is stronger than the bready notes, and the smoke has a ‘dry’ character, like the remnants of an old fire, not a ‘greasy’ smoke.

Appearance: Tall off-white head, rocky and persistent. Deep yellow to light gold color. Fair clarity, may be somewhat hazy.
Flavor: Moderately strong fruity flavor, possibly lemons or apples. Moderate intensity, clean lactic tartness (no funk).
Similar smoky character as aroma (dry wood fire), medium strength. Dry finish, with acidity and smoke in the aftertaste. Low bitterness; the acidity is providing the balance, not hops. Fresh, clean palate and slightly puckery aftertaste. The wheat character is on the low side; the smoke and acidity are more prominent in the balance. The lemony-tart/green apple flavor is strongest in the finish, with smoke a close second. Complex.

Mouthfeel: Tingly acidity. High carbonation. Medium to medium-light body.

Overall Impression: A sour, smoked, lower-gravity historical German wheat beer. Complex yet refreshing character due to high attenuation and carbonation, along with low bitterness and moderate sourness.

Comments: Served young. Smoke and sour is an unusual combination that is not for everyone.

History: Originating in Lichtenhain, in Thüringen (central Germany). Height of popularity was towards the end of the 1800s, and was widely available throughout Thüringen.

Characteristic Ingredients: Smoked barley malt, wheat malt, lactobacillus, top-fermenting yeast. Grists vary, but the wheat would typically be 30-50%.

Style Comparison: In the same general historical lower-alcohol top-fermenting central European wheat beer family as Gose, Grodziskie, and Berliner weisse, has elements of all of them but having its own unique balance – sour and smoke is not found in any of the other beers. Not as acidic as Berliner weisse, probably more like a smoked gose without coriander and salt, or a grodziskie with gose-like acidity.

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.032 – 1.040
IBUs: 5 – 12
FG: 1.004 – 1.008
SRM: 3 – 6
ABV: 3.5 – 4.7%

translated not mine, make on I Podlaski hombrew competition

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm

becik wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am
my first lichtenhainer style in my life....
brewed in Poland
Will you try it again or is the sour and smoke combination off-putting?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

becik

Post by becik » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:50 pm

unfortunatelly brewery this beer lichtenhainer brewed only only time, but I try some onother gose style or grodziskie (gratzer), Last year the one brewery in Poland make another historical style from 500 years recepture - Schöps, brewed only in Wrocław (Breslau) and was brewed in XVI-XVIII century only in Wrocław -it was perfect

becik

Post by becik » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

another historic style, 100% polish style, - grodziskie/graetzer. After many problem brewery In Grodzisk Wielkopolski was reactivated and again brewed beer on 700 years recepture, information about style from I Podlaski hombrew competition

Aroma: Low to moderate oak wood smoke is the most prominent aroma component, but can be subtle and hard to detect. A low spicy, herbal, or floral hop aroma is typically present, and should be lower than or equal to the smoke in intensity. Hints of grainy wheat are also detected in the best examples. The aroma is otherwise clean, although light pomme fruit esters (especially ripe red apple or pear) are welcome. No acidity. Slight water-derived sulfury notes may be present.

Appearance: Pale yellow to medium gold in color with excellent clarity. A tall, billowy, white, tightly-knit head with excellent retention is distinctive. Murkiness is a fault.

Flavor: Moderately-low to medium oak smoke flavor up front which carries into the finish; the smoke can be stronger in flavor than in aroma. The smoke character is gentle, should not be acrid, and can lend an impression of sweetness. A moderate to strong bitterness is readily evident which lingers through the finish. The overall balance is toward bitterness. Low but perceptible spicy, herbal, or floral hop flavor. Low grainy wheat character in the background. Light pomme fruit esters (red apple or pear) may be present. Dry, crisp finish. No sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, with a crisp and dry finish. Carbonation is quite high and can add a slight carbonic bite or prickly sensation. No noticeable alcohol warmth.

Overall Impression: A low-gravity, highly-carbonated, light-bodied ale combining an oak smoked flavor with a clean hop bitterness. Highly sessionable.

Comments: Pronounced in English as “pivo grow-JEES-kee-uh” (meaning: Grodzisk beer). Known as Grätzer (pronounced “GRATE-sir”) in German-speaking countries, and in some beer literature. Traditionally made using a multi-step mash, a long boil (~2 hours), and multiple strains of ale yeast. The beer is never filtered but Isinglass is used to clarify before bottle conditioning. Traditionally served in tall conical glassware to accommodate the vigorous foam stand.

History: Developed as a unique style centuries ago in the Polish city of Grodzisk (known as Grätz when ruled by Prussia and Germany). Its fame and popularity rapidly extended to other parts of the world in the late 19th and early 20th century. Regular commercial production declined after WWII and ceased altogether in the early-mid 1990s. This style description describes the traditional version during its period of greatest popularity.

Characteristic Ingredients: Grain bill usually consists entirely of oak-smoked wheat malt. Oak-smoked wheat malt has a different (and less intense) smoke character than German beechwood-smoked barley malt; it has a drier, crisper, leaner quality – a bacon/ham smoke flavor is inappropriate. Saazer-type hops (Polish, Czech or German), moderate hardness sulfate water, and a relatively clean and attenuative continental ale yeast fermented at moderate ale temperatures are traditional. German hefeweizen yeast or other strains with a phenol or strong ester character are inappropriate.

Style Comparison: Similar in strength to a Berliner Weisse, but never sour. Has a smoked character but less intense than in a Rauchbier.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.028 – 1.032
IBU: 20 – 35
FG: 1.006 – 1.012
ABV: 2.5 – 3.3 %

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 pm

becik wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm
another historic style, 100% polish style, - grodziskie/graetzer. After many problem brewery In Grodzisk Wielkopolski was reactivated and again brewed beer on 700 years recepture, information about style from I Podlaski hombrew competition

Characteristic Ingredients: Grain bill usually consists entirely of oak-smoked wheat malt. Oak-smoked wheat malt has a different (and less intense) smoke character than German beechwood-smoked barley malt; it has a drier, crisper, leaner quality – a bacon/ham smoke flavor is inappropriate. Saazer-type hops (Polish, Czech or German), moderate hardness sulfate water, and a relatively clean and attenuative continental ale yeast fermented at moderate ale temperatures are traditional. German hefeweizen yeast or other strains with a phenol or strong ester character are inappropriate.

Style Comparison: Similar in strength to a Berliner Weisse, but never sour. Has a smoked character but less intense than in a Rauchbier.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.028 – 1.032
IBU: 20 – 35
FG: 1.006 – 1.012
ABV: 2.5 – 3.3 %
I made one of these last spring when I picked up a bag of Wyermann's oak smoked wheat malt. 100% wheat malt beer. It's been lagering in a keg since then. Interesting style. Very refreshing. Subtle smoke aroma and very low alcohol. I like it. I've been using the malt in a bunch of brews since then just to use it up - the smoke is so subtle that you'd not really pick up on it in a beer if used in moderately low proportions.

Here's a pint I just pulled tonight - I forgot I had it in the fridge.
grodziski.jpg

becik

Post by becik » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:43 am

What type of yeats you used? Brewery used a special yeats made only for this beer and only in this brewery. Some shops for homebrew in Poland sell products to brewed "grodziskie" and they proposed to choice 3 types of yeats: Fermentis S-33 or Wyeast 1007 German ale or Whitelabs WLP011 European Ale

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 am

I used Yeast 1007 German Ale.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 pm

A pretty simple pale ale - really, a blonde ale, but perhaps a bit too dark. Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

higdon1976
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris Higdon

Post by higdon1976 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:21 pm

5764E695-9FF7-4ED2-94EA-6EB3BEE054A6.jpeg
My current cream ale. Fourth batch with this recipe - becoming my go to for a nice easy drinking beer
On tap:
Belgian Dubbel
Cream Ale
SMaSH Lager
Coffee stout

Fermenting:

Up next:
Baltic Porter
Sierra Nevada Pale

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 pm

West Coast-ish IPA. 12 days grain to glass. Perhaps the best batch I've ever done. Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”