Page 1 of 1
second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 pm
by glassgiant
Hi all,
I've just boiled my second batch today. I had a few problems with my first batch, though it seems to have turned out okay. This is a Silly Yak gluten free. I think it will turn out to be very hoppy (I assume to mask the flavour of gluten free beer).

I've got a couple questions: lessons learned during the first batch that I'd like to confirm.
According to the directions, I should transfer to carboy in 2-3 days, then in 7-10 days after that, transfer back to the bucket, then bottle from that. The directions say to never leave in the bucket for more than 5 days. If I understood all the people who helped me, they usually leave it in the bucket for the whole time, about 2 weeks, and bottle directly from that. Is that right? What happens to the sediment when you stir in the bottling sugar?
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm
by mr x
Any time I bottled, I took the beer from the primary to a secondary carboy where I primed it.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm
by chalmers
To expand on what you and X said, you are definitely safe keeping it in the primary for a couple of weeks (be sure the bucket has an airlock or you keep the lid semi-tight and "burp" it occasionally as the lid bulges).
On bottling day, mix up your priming sugar in some boiling water, let it cool, then dump that in a second bucket or carboy, and then transfer the beer on top of that, trying to keep the racking cane from picking up too much yeast from the bottom (there'll be enough in suspension to carbonate your beer). So: don't add the sugar water to the beer in the primary bucket, add it to a second bucket/carboy, and transfer the beer on top. Mix it well, and then bottle that liquid.
Glad we didn't scare you off with all of our suggestions!
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am
by glassgiant
Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was picturing. I'll give that a try.
Do you read the gravity before or after the yeast on brew day (or does it matter)?
Also, I've noticed my porter is not lasting nearly as long as an equivalent volume of storebought, so I'd like to plan my next one. I want something summery: like a Red Stripe or Sol or Corona. Anyone have any suggestions?
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14 am
by mr x
Easier to read OG before adding yeast, but it will make no difference.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am
by LeafMan66_67
glassgiant wrote:Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was picturing. I'll give that a try.
Do you read the gravity before or after the yeast on brew day (or does it matter)?
Also, I've noticed my porter is not lasting nearly as long as an equivalent volume of storebought, so I'd like to plan my next one. I want something summery: like a Red Stripe or Sol or Corona. Anyone have any suggestions?
The Festa Brew Cervesa was good. Pretty sure NG has a Mexican extract / steping grain kit as well.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:13 am
by Stusbrews
chalmers wrote:
On bottling day, mix up your priming sugar in some boiling water, let it cool, then dump that in a second bucket or carboy, and then transfer the beer on top of that, trying to keep the racking cane from picking up too much yeast from the bottom (there'll be enough in suspension to carbonate your beer). So: don't add the sugar water to the beer in the primary bucket, add it to a second bucket/carboy, and transfer the beer on top. Mix it well, and then bottle that liquid.
Glad we didn't scare you off with all of our suggestions!
Also, mix it thoroughly, but gently(sanitized stirstick)..
you dont want splashing when transferring/mixing/bottling as O2 at that point is not good for the beer.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 pm
by glassgiant
LeafMan66_67 wrote:The Festa Brew Cervesa was good. Pretty sure NG has a Mexican extract / steping grain kit as well.
Where do you get Festa Brew Cervesa? Just check NG site and didn't see it.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Its a seasonal - give them a shout to see if they will get it back again this year.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm
by HappyHopper
It won't be here for a month or 2
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:24 am
by Steve&ORChar
NG has the Festa Brew Cervesa in stock now ...
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm
by Wildcard
Festabrew doesn't make the cervesa. That's brew house that makes it. Difference is that brew house you ass 8 Gallons of water. If you need water just go to shoppers and get 2 4L jugs of water.
I bottle all batches atm. Haven't started kegging yet. What I do is 7 days tops in primary then 7 days in secondary. I'm using all glass, 6.5 gallon carboy and a 6 gallon secondary.
I rack from secondary to a bottling bucket and mix my primer. I don't use preset packs, weight out what I want for a end volumes of CO2. I normally do secondary as I alter my kits. If I didn't alter them, honey, coffee beans, vanilla, etc, I stick with a primary for how ever long I need till the gravity levels out and clarity comes through.
Those instructions are nice, but to be 100% honest. After a few kits you only want them if you're some how too drunk to remember what to do. Home brewing varies based on preference. Some do all out primary, some don't. You will find out what works for you with the beer you're making. Just take notes for everything you do, and only change one thing at a time if you're trouble shooting a batch.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm
by Jimmy
Wildcard wrote:Festabrew doesn't make the cervesa. That's brew house that makes it.
Festa Brew does a seasonal Cerveza that they release every year
http://noblegrape.ca/beer/festa-brew-me ... l-release/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 pm
by dean2k
So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm
by Wildcard
Nice! I didn't see it on their site, I may have to try it.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 pm
by Steve&ORChar
they dont usually show it, as it is a limited run
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am
by chalmers
dean2k wrote:So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
You got it, NOT gluten free.
Re: second homebrew - Silly Yak gluten free
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm
by dean2k
chalmers wrote:dean2k wrote:So ... this Festa cervesa. It's no gluten free, correct? My wife would be all over that it were.
You got it, NOT gluten free.
Thanks. But upon further reading, was I drunk when I typed that? Or was I doing my Speedy Gonzales impression?
