Page 1 of 1

New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 pm
by Garak
Hey guys. I'm new to home brewing but I'm learning very quickly and jumping right into all grain brewing. I did my first all grain batch last week, didn't go as well as I hoped but I learned alot. Mainly that I need a bigger pot, which I think I just scored, and that I need a wort chiller, the snow bank didn't work out at all :D

One problem I'm having is that my cooler mash tun is leaking. Anyone know where I might get some big thick O rings around Halifax? Anyone know of a food safe sealant that I could use?

Another thing I'm looking for is a good lab thermometer. I need something for calibrating my electronic thermometers. Anyone know of an affordable place to pick one up in HRM?

I'm an Electronics Engineering technologist and robotics hobbyist. If anyone needs any help with any brewing related electronics, electrical, automation, etc.. I'm offering my services for trade. I'm currently messing around with some low cost temperature control systems, a low cost PID sorta. Both brewing controller and a fermentation temperature controller. It can also be adapted to control kegerators and keezers. I'd be willing to build a few of them if anyone is interested in them.

--
Chris "Garak" McDonald

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 am
by mr x
Hey, I can probably help with the thermometer and o-ring. It won't be until around this time next week though. I have lots of thermometers and food-safe gasket material that is better than o-rings in most cases.

:welcome:

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 am
by ratchet
as for the wart chiller.... just go to a hardware store and buy some bendable copper tubing.

if you want to make it pretty, coil it around something round (a keg or the like)

Welcome to the forum :)

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 am
by akr71
ratchet wrote:as for the wart chiller.... just go to a hardware store and buy some bendable copper tubing.

if you want to make it pretty, coil it around something round (a keg or the like)

Welcome to the forum :)
Mine is far from pretty, but still gets the job done (I think there's pics in the photo gallery). Pretty doesn't make the beer taste any better :lol:

Oh, & :welcome: to the hobby/obsession

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 am
by Garak
Thanks for the welcome guys.

mrx:
No rush anyway, its going to be a few weeks before I do another batch. Money is pretty tight right now.

ratchet & akr71:
Yea, thats my plan, a simple copper tubing immersion chiller.

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm
by mr x
Garak wrote:mrx:
No rush anyway, its going to be a few weeks before I do another batch. Money is pretty tight right now.
Then you'll love this deal. ;)

Re: New to Brewing/First all grain

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 pm
by John G
Hi Garak,

Welcome to the site! Good on you to jump right in with all grain brewing. Way back when I started brewing, using two cans of liquid malt extract instead of one can + sugar meant you were serious about brewing :D These days you can listen to a bunch of podcasts, poke around on the internet and start making kick ass brews right out of the starting blocks. It's an awesome time to get into brewing.

I'm putting together parts for an electric HERMS brew system and seriously thinking of automating it with a Brewtroller (www.brewtroller.com). They use arduino boards and opensource code which makes it relatively cheap to get some electric element PID control. The problem is they are not currently in production as they are working on a new version of their boards. I'd be interested in talking with you about some ideas I have for alternate versions of control hardware.

Your electronics experience is an asset to many on this site who are looking to automate. Thanks for joining in.

J