Page 1 of 1

Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 pm
by canuck
So has anyone built a fermentation chamber? Now that I've got my four tap Kegerator built and have a SS conical fermenter ordered, my next step is to build a fermentation chamber for lagering. I've found out that I can successfully ferment lager yeast during the colder months, but it might be more of a challenge in the summer. I currently use a spare bar fridge for lagering. So anyways, I am looking to build a fermentation chamber similar to the one below using the spare bar fridge that I have. Any thoughts on this build?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another ... ld-253949/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 am
by thirdeye
why not buy an old chest freezer? they're ~$50 on Kijiji and there are a few DIY on homebrewtalk about modifying their thermostats to lagering temps.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:10 pm
by bluenose
I've seen builds for fermentation chambers from old chest freezers, but my concern would be lifting them up and over the edge of the side... That's why I was also looking into a custom fermentation chamber... ideally I would want a walkin cooler, but eh

I looked at the above link, and IMHO is that it could be better insulated. I wonder what the duty cycle is for his compressor

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:24 pm
by thirdeye
that fridge will be burnt out in no time. the stud walls project into the refrigeration area negating almost all of his work. then he has to squat and walk ~40lb corney kegs into either wing?? not to mention every time he opens the door all the cool air spills onto his floor... for all that cost/time he could have built a hoist system and dropped way more kegs into a chest freezer...

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 pm
by mr x
I agree, that fridge is going to be burned out very quickly trying to hold lager temps if the room is in the high 60's.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:45 pm
by canuck
Going with a chest freezer is certainly an option, and a good one at that. I have a spare bar fridge that I don't use so I guess that is the reason why I was thinking of going this route.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm
by thirdeye
Just going to post this here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-s ... ol-249612/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheapest ferm chamber evar!

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:15 pm
by canuck
thirdeye wrote:Just going to post this here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-s ... ol-249612/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheapest ferm chamber evar!
Nice!!! Great find, thanks for posting! :cheers2:

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:19 pm
by Tony L
I'll be probably making a ferm chamber later this year if I can swing it by the boss.
I need something big enough for two conicals and a freezer just won't do it on it's own.

Good luck, Shane.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm
by canuck
Tony L wrote:I'll be probably making a ferm chamber later this year if I can swing it by the boss.
I need something big enough for two conicals and a freezer just won't do it on it's own.

Good luck, Shane.
Tony, what size are your conicals? I am still waiting for mine to arrive. :(

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:30 pm
by Tony L
I'll measure them both when i find a tape to do it with. Might take me an hour, but, I'll post back when I do.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm
by Tony L
Both are 37 1/2 inches from the bottom of their legs to the top of the airlocks, so I guess a little more height for the chamber would be needed.
I have the Stouts SS conical and the 6.5 gallon plastic one.

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm
by bluenose
are your conicals bought or built?