Page 1 of 1

Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 pm
by Sobeys
When sanitizing, I put starsan an in my primary fermenter and add hot water. I dump anything in the foam that I need sanitized. Town water has cholorine. I know I don't need to rinse but I use the same water to rinse sometimes. Had a couple of bad batches and wondering if the chlorine water could be the culprit.

Re: Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:05 pm
by jeffsmith
If you're using StarSan I believe you're only supposed to use room temp or colder water. I used Amherst town water with StarSan and have never had any issues.

Re: Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 am
by derek
jeffsmith wrote:If you're using StarSan I believe you're only supposed to use room temp or colder water.
Definitely says "cold" water.

Re: Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 am
by amartin
I use bleach in water as my sanitizer, and then rinse with tap water. I haven't had a lot of sanitation issues, so I don't think the chlorine is hurting you there.

Re: Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 am
by KMcK
What town are you in and where's the water supply located?

Re: Using Town Water for Sanitizing

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 am
by Sobeys
Using Truro town water.