Brewnosers Discord Channel

A spot to talk general homebrew
Hibernaculum
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt McNair

Brewnosers Discord Channel

Post by Hibernaculum » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:17 pm

I saw that user @JamesM80 created a Discord server/channel for the Brewnosers. I think this is an extremely good idea. I lived in Halifax for 12 years and casually used the Brewnosers forum, but it was never great at getting a good "back-and-forth" where many people were engaged. I just moved to Calgary in September of this year and the LHBC here uses Discord as its primary means of club communication (in addition to group announcement emails). There are a lot of active users, and it feels way more of a community because people can chat more quickly, in real time.

I just joined the new Brewnosers Discord channel-- I hope to see more users join it so that it can get better mileage. It would be very easy to create all of the same "forum channels" on the Discord server. For those who don't know Discord, it's basically like a real-time chat group with different topics within the group of users. So you can have a "Brewnosers group" then have a bunch of sub-groups for different topics in it. I personally didn't use Discord before I joined the new homebrew club in Calgary, so you don't need to be familiar with it to start using it.

Anyway, anyone who wants to very easily be able to chat beer and brewing with local likeminded individuals, I would really consider trying it out. You could snap a pic of what you're brewing or drinking and share within 5 minutes, without having to navigate a forum on your phone or sitting down on a desktop or laptop computer. It doesn't need to replace the forum, but I think it's an awfully good supplement. Give it a try!

The link is here, all credit for the idea & creation goes to James-- I just want to amplify the idea!

https://discord.gg/xhwVK8yD6W
On Tap:
Janet's Brown Ale

Brewing Next / Now Fermenting:
Dry Stout

Slow Burners
3x Lambic-style batches
4 variants of 2023-harvest ciders

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Brewnosers Discord Channel

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:08 pm

Goddammit Matt, my kids use Discord; I'M TOO FUCKIN' OLD FOR THAT SHIT!

(I'm gonna start a Brewnosers IRC channel, as god intended. And if that doesn't catch on, I'll take it to USENET 🤪)

Hibernaculum
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt McNair

Post by Hibernaculum » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:43 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:08 pm

(I'm gonna start a Brewnosers IRC channel, as god intended. And if that doesn't catch on, I'll take it to USENET 🤪)
Hahaha, sorry Aaron... I don't have kids and am not a gamer, so I don't have any awareness of it outside of a homebrew club context. It's a great tool, really!
On Tap:
Janet's Brown Ale

Brewing Next / Now Fermenting:
Dry Stout

Slow Burners
3x Lambic-style batches
4 variants of 2023-harvest ciders

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Post by marko » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:07 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:Goddammit Matt, my kids use Discord; I'M TOO FUCKIN' OLD FOR THAT SHIT!

(I'm gonna start a Brewnosers IRC channel, as god intended. And if that doesn't catch on, I'll take it to USENET )
I'm on board with the IRC channel

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am

mumblecrunch wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:08 pm

I miss Usenet.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”