Page 1 of 1
Heat Belt Repair
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 pm
by Jason
I have two heat belts that no longer heat up... I haven't tried to dismantle anything yet to troubleshoot the problem but it'd be nice to sort out the problem and bring them back into action for the winter months.
Anything jump out as a potential culprit to electrically savvy people? I have basic competence with a multimeter and soldering iron, but I'm somewhat out of my element when working on such projects.
Re: Heat Belt Repair
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 pm
by chalmers
Jason wrote:I have two heat belts that no longer heat up... I haven't tried to dismantle anything yet to troubleshoot the problem but it'd be nice to sort out the problem and bring them back into action for the winter months.
Anything jump out as a potential culprit to electrically savvy people? I have basic competence with a multimeter and soldering iron, but I'm somewhat out of my element when working on such projects.
X is definitely the man in this regard, but have you tried measuring the resistance across the elements? You don't want them to be open (infinite resistance), but they should be a reasonable resistance, I'm guessing 10ohms. If you have a good working one to check, that would be best. Keep checking up and down the element where you can stick the probes to check for the problem site. It's usually where there's a lot of flexing.
My uninformed 2 cents. When I have to measure the wall voltage, I get LiverDance to do it.

Gives him hair on his chest.
Re: Heat Belt Repair
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 pm
by Jason
Thanks. Turned into a quick fix with a bit of solder and some electrical tape.
Re: Heat Belt Repair
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 am
by LiverDance
And years off my life!. Electricity is

Re: Heat Belt Repair
Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 pm
by mr x
Woohoo. Good job.