First brew problems

A spot to talk general homebrew
halmike
Name: mike

First brew problems

Post by halmike » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:00 pm

So I watched a kegland video where he makes a 5.5 gallon batch and grabbed a recipe off the net for a 5.5 gallon recipe. Have 11.44 lb grains and 5 gallon mash water. But not only is it super thick unlike the video but the grains are pressed up against the lid. Worried this batch is completely screwed. Help!

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Re: First brew problems

Post by know1 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:11 pm

Hey Mike,

I assume you are using a robobrew and with those number something doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have 11.4 lbs and not kg? sorry maybe a stupid question but it sure would explain it.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

halmike
Name: mike

Post by halmike » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:24 am

yeah thats what i was thinking, ended up throwing it out and when i go buy new grains ill double check the scale measurement type. definately seemed like way way too many grains but being my first time didnt have a reference to say to myself this doesnt seem right lol

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:56 am

1.75 qts/water per pound of grain is fine or should be fine. I go with 2 qts./water per pound in my Robobrew. 5 gallons water in the mash should be okay to deal with. I would never have tossed it.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”