Rapt pill maiden voyage

A spot to talk general homebrew
Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Rapt pill maiden voyage

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:47 pm

After Brew HQ dropping the price from $99.99 to $79.99 , I figured I would treat myself because well...... I'm worth it 😉. The initial setup was not as straight forward as anticipated, but eventually I figured it out. The flimsy cap that screws on to the body likes to try and crossthread itself as much as possible , making it difficult to tighten properly. Last but not least the interface seems a little outdated and windows 95ish. Hopefully after a shakey lift off it is worth my headscratching , jaw clinching and swearing. I was wondering if anyone else in here is also on the pill ? If so , are you liking this little piece of technology?
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Re: Rapt pill maiden voyage

Post by JamesM80 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Yep, I have one and an iSpindel. They both do the same thing, but at 79 Bux I'd for sure go with the rapt. At 100, it might be a toss up. Great for showing the rates of fermentation and when done, but a little off on exact numbers (I just use a refractometer on brew day and a hydrometer the keg day). They are releasing a temp controller that integrates with it soon as well, so that might be cool as long as they use north american plugs...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:40 pm

Dropped it in a low alcohol pale ale yesterday ( below 1% abv )Not the best beer to test on but, So far so good.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:44 pm

Pretty cool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 pm

HAZY.PNG
I am on my first brew with mine. I got it from BrewHQ.
I really like it. I didn't find setup was too tough, nothing compared the FB group that I joined and am thinking I shouldn't have...
I did take a few attempts to get through all the steps as I wasn't accounting for it timing out on the wifi setup.
I am logged in every day, watching the progress, it is pretty cool.
I am 14 days into my brew and it has gone from 1.059 to 1.010. I am going to keg it tomorrow. But what I would have normally left for 3wks just to be sure, done in 14 days, I am happy with that.
I have a HAZY IPA going, all Galaxy hops.

So far I am impressed. The portal is a bit out dated looking, but sometimes it is best to get the function down before making it all pretty, like building a house.
I am already thinking of a 2nd unit, once you can get a different color cap.

I did also find the cap screwing on was a bit 'cheap' feeling and I was worried on the cross thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:58 am

Cross threading was an issue with mine as well, seems a bit weird the threads are so fine. I threw together a video yesterday on how to use in Brewfather.

https://youtu.be/Rg-0JppKOEA

Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

BrewMachine
Name: Joel Richard

Post by BrewMachine » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:30 pm

I stopped measuring final gravity many years ago as I never really found results that I didn't expect but after seeing those graphs, I'm rethinking this. How cool is that?!?!

walker1
Name: Rob

Post by walker1 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:40 pm

I am interested in this but was not paying the 200 bucks for the tilt!!!
Question
I brew double batches and use fermonsters. If I get 2 can I run 2 at once? I know tilt had different colors so I assumed this was for multiple brews?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:26 pm

Yep, no issues to run two at once. They run off a wifi card and each has its own address. On the rapt app they will show up separately.

walker1

Post by walker1 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:20 pm

Thanks for that. Just ordered 2. Do most people track the info on their phone I take it?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:36 pm

I like Brewfather, but it might need the subscription to use it with that app. The Rapt app (app.rapt.io) is something you can access from anywhere on either a phone or computer.

marshydope
Name: Alex

Post by marshydope » Mon May 30, 2022 12:04 pm

Has anyone tried running one in a chest freezer? I'm concerned my roadside find fermentation chamber might block the signals.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Mon May 30, 2022 2:17 pm

It has worked no problem in my fridge during cold crash, so I imagine it would work in a chest freezer but not 100% certain as they tend to possibly have a bit more insulation.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Mon May 30, 2022 2:56 pm

Works in my fridge

marshydope

Post by marshydope » Tue May 31, 2022 7:59 am

Thanks, bought one. Will check wifi reception tonight.

Brewbert
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Brewbert » Tue May 31, 2022 9:23 am

Does anyone know if it works with the grainfather app?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:19 am

Brewbert wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:23 am
Does anyone know if it works with the grainfather app?
I haven't tried it, but it looks like it will work if you do a custom setup. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it is similar to the custom way that was necessary with the Brewfather app. I don't use the app anymore, but I'll see if I can get the rapt set up in the program.

I'm not confident that the Grainfather has the complete instructions posted on their site.

Cheers,

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm

My 2nd batch with the Pill. I still find the use of it clunky but I love the battery life. I lost 4 points off the beginning of this cause I couldn't get it to delete the previous session and start this one.
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

marshydope

Post by marshydope » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am

So I did the standard calibration in tapwater at 20C before firing it into the fermenter on Saturday. I had read 1.068 with a hydrometer (dead on beersmith target, so apparently my profile works) but the pill was reading like 1.093. I pitched kveik Voss so it fermented pretty quickly and the lower gravity readings seem to line up better, which makes sense given the calibration point is at 1.000. watching that curve drop hour after hour is pretty great, even if the absolute values are a bit off!

I've read a couple of other posts about people having similar issues with accuracy but I'm not sure if there's a silver bullet fix. Did anyone try the advanced calibration? Any chance I managed to assemble the thing backwards?

walker1

Post by walker1 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:37 am

Hi all. I ordered 2 and they landed a few days ago. Would like to brew this weekend and need to set up. A few questions.
I want to set up on my phone so I can track when away from the house. Anyone else do this?
For set up, remove the blue tape tabs and charge for 24 hours ?
Then find the app and follow set up and calibrate in water.? I am not a technology guy at all!!!!
Just looking for easy set up hints.
Thanks

Swine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Swine » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:25 pm

walker1 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:37 am
Hi all. I ordered 2 and they landed a few days ago. Would like to brew this weekend and need to set up. A few questions.
I want to set up on my phone so I can track when away from the house. Anyone else do this?
For set up, remove the blue tape tabs and charge for 24 hours ?
Then find the app and follow set up and calibrate in water.? I am not a technology guy at all!!!!
Just looking for easy set up hints.
Thanks
I have the app on my phone. They have an app for iPhone and Android. I use iPhone and app works as it should.
Remove the blue stickers and charge for 24hr.
I found the instructions and video that the QR code on the package takes you to worked well.
I would have some distilled water handy to calibrate in when you have it setup.
I have only done the simple calibration and has been good. I re-did it before last batch and it was still 1.000 in my distilled water.
I am between brews at moment and may look to do advanced calibration at 1.060 maybe.

I had to reactivate the setup by plugging into power and removing power a couple of times because I was reading as I was going. Make sure to reactivate the setup that way just before doing the calibration so you have lots of time to get cover on and in the water and let it settle out really well.

When brewing, I don’t start my brew session for 30 min at least after I drop the pill in and get fermenter in place, so I avoid the spike readings lots are seeing.

First brew (maybe 2) were at 60min intervals for getting data. Pill still had 100%, so last brew I went to 30min. Next I’ll likely go 15min. Battery life seems great. Haven’t charged it since the initial time.

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:15 pm

How did you change your telemetry time intervals?
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

Swine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Swine » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:25 pm

Peterpasha wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:15 pm
How did you change your telemetry time intervals?
You have to get the pill in setup mode and where you would do calibration, one of the couple options there has telemetry. You can set the interval and even do a “send now” command.

walker1

Post by walker1 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 pm

Was able to connect and register one pill but I can't get the second one connecting. In my wifi it only shows the first one .
Any ideas?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:50 am

walker1 wrote:Was able to connect and register one pill but I can't get the second one connecting. In my wifi it only shows the first one .
Any ideas?
With my second one I messed around a bit to find the wifi, but not sure what I did to find the signal. I just took out the battery to reset power and found it again. Maybe take the battery out of the working one in case the names are the same.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”