Thiol Libre test run

A spot to talk general homebrew
Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Thiol Libre test run

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:34 pm

Just wanted to share the results for my test run with Thiol Libre yeast from escarpment labs. Geoff sprung a last minute opportunity to grab a pouch of this yeast on the last escarpment group buy , so I figured why not ? After reading up on how Scott Janish was unleashing thiols with 7g per L in the mash, I was a little hesitant to take that risk. After a brief conversation with mumblecrunch , I decided to roll with it. The grain bill was fairly common for a NEIPA. I did opt for a keg dry hop of 1 oz each of galaxy Citra and Simcoe. Fermented in the all rounder with the dry hop at 1.020. Via magnet drop. ( would have done it sooner but after 24 hrs it was down to 1.020 ) In the past , I have struggled with obtaining that in your face punch you get with commercial examples of the style. This beer does not disappoint! FYI the hopstand was supposed to be at 170f but my brewing robot was being a little asshole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Re: Thiol Libre test run

Post by karlp028 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am

That looks interesting. If you saved any yeast, what could I trade you for a small vial?
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:52 am

I managed to crop a very small amount, I will build a starter up and see what I can do.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:26 pm

I've been eager to try this but have been way too busy to brew lately, good to hear the results are promising!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:24 pm

I also made a beer with Thiol Libré and I’m quite happy with the way it turned out. I don’t know if it’s substantially “more tropical” than the same recipe I made a month previous with the Escarpment Hydra strain but that one didn’t last long enough to compare directly, so I can’t say for sure…

I used Cascade for my mash hop in both beers and it’s easier (in my mind) to see that ending up tropical than the Saaz that Bradbrewsbeer used. I know Liverdance also did a TL beer with a slurry pitch from my batch and his mash hop was Saaz so hopefully he’ll report similar. I also have some Cryo Citra that I used for whirlpool and dry hop along with some Mosaic, so it’s a little harder to give credit to the yeast and the bound thiols. I may have to do a batch without “Cheater hops” to prove to myself that the yeast is doing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:40 pm

Yeah I would be curious to try a "control" batch and just do all mash hops and see what it's like in isolation. I'm sure someone out there must have tried it already.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”