Beer Yeast

A spot to talk general homebrew
Ralph
Name: Ralph Smith

Beer Yeast

Post by Ralph » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:15 pm

Apologies if this topic has been worked out recently, but as a newcomer to Nova Scotia I am struggling to source the liquid yeasts (Escarpment, Omega, White Labs) that I normally use. Two questions. Are there good sources for bluenose brewers (Noble Grape has really limited stock)? And am I being just contrary, and are dry yeasts like Mangrove Jack just as good?

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Re: Beer Yeast

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:00 pm

Welcome to Nova Scotia Ralph. There is a group buy from escarpment labs on right now. You will need to request access first. Usually Conantroutman puts one on quarterly. Can't beat the price or selection. As for dry yeast like MJ, I use them frequently with good results. Brew HQ is set to open in burnside very soon , whom will carry escarpment labs as well
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:50 am

Aren't there other HB stores in the Maritimes that sell liquid yeast? Or is it just limited quantity in Nova Scotia?

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks, Bradbrewsbeer. I should mention that Noble Grape does have a selection of yeasts including liquids from White Labs, and I appreciate that. Selection can be spotty (maybe that's the times) so I was looking for more options. I will follow your lead, and have also contacted by Alpha Brewing, so I am hopeful!

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:58 am

Can you order in some liquid yeast? May take awhile but worth the wait and it will be fresher than their current stock. I order yeast all the time. If you do an over build with your starter, you won't need to buy any yeast for 6 months.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Thanks, McGruff. Fresher would be better, as long as orders don't involve too much shipping charge. I have not tried keeping my own yeast cultures around but I agree starters are a great idea.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 am

It is not complicated, believe me I wouldn't do if it was. I make an extra litre of starter wort and toss it in the fridge for my next brew. You Tube has lots of videos on it. I over build around 6 - 7 times and then buy a new one.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”