Mailing beer.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Nicarus
Name: Nicholas Maillet

Mailing beer.

Post by Nicarus » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what your thoughts on mailing beer are, like is it legal? I tried to mail some beer to a friend of mine who helped me Brew it but then before it was ready , returned to their home, so I said I would send some. I went into the post office and I guess my first mistake was answering the question what's in the box because I don't believe I have to do that. Then the lady said that I couldn't send it because it was alcohol and therefore flammable, to which I said beer isn't flammable. Then she tried the I don't have a license to distribute alcohol angle, to which I replied I didn't buy this alcohol I made it and that 4 weeks ago it was grains. She begrudgingly took the package and it did get sent and was received. I'm just wondering has anybody else had any issues mailing beer to friends within Canada? Or maybe anyone knows of any preferred ways of sending it by not using Canada Post?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Mailing beer.

Post by GAM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:27 am

Send a "yeast sample"

Sandy

jkdunbar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin Dunbar

Re: Mailing beer.

Post by jkdunbar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:43 am

I do work for Canada Post, and the clerk was correct that consumers cannot ship alcohol in the mail. While the federal government did repeal the federal law against transporting alcohol between provinces, provinces themselves govern this individually.

Currently there are four provinces — Nova Scotia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and B.C. — that will allow their residents to receive alcohol shipped direct-to-consumer from other provinces. That means you can order beer from a brewery in Ontario, however you cannot send the same beer to your friend in Regina because your are not a business.

They is also why a company like Bishops Cellar can mail beer within the province to consumers.

How this helps

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”