New NG location on Lady Hammond

A spot to talk general homebrew
BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

New NG location on Lady Hammond

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 pm

A tiny storefront that carries Festa Brews and wine kits, and nothing else? Fucking seriously?

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: New NG location on Lady Hammond

Post by ConanTroutman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Yeah it's a bummer. I asked the guy when they were starting renos if they'd carry more beer stuff and his answer was "if anything, probably less." He did seem to suggest they might have something in the pipeline for BrewHQ but didn't say anything explicit.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm

$50 for a Festa kit plus $35 to brew it in store, sounds like a sure winner to me.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 pm

Hugely disappointing, considering we went from 2 stores with homebrew supplies on the peninsula to none. Plus the loss of Everwood.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:41 pm

I just started all grain brewing a few months before Everwood shut down. I didn't realize what I was about to lose. I know with the invention of the internet it's hard to float a profitable brick and mortar business these days, but the HRM needs a real Home Brew Store
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 am

This is simply a "business" move. Obviously wine makes more money than beer.

I am trying to get on order deliveries to Robie but that may be once a week, month etc.

Burnside and Bayers Lake are our stores now.

S

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 am

GAM wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 am
This is simply a "business" move. Obviously wine makes more money than beer.

I am trying to get on order deliveries to Robie but that may be once a week, month etc.

Burnside and Bayers Lake are our stores now.

S
Uggggh someone needs to open a new homebrew shop ASAP!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:58 am

I’m really surprised that NG didn’t pounce on the opportunity to promote beer products (more variety like true home brew shops have , ingredients, replacement parts etc) when Everwood went away as most ppl on this form went to him. They don’t have to make all stores carry the stuff but like Gam said about bayers and burnside being the go to stores. I know this would make a lot of ppl happier. With all the overhead they seem to have it still blows me away they don’t vacuum seal their hops unless you want cryro…still mind boggling to me

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm

I think it's a side effect of being a chain, they get too big to pay attention to little stuff. People may complain about the hops, but those complaints never make their way up the chain to the people that make decisions about merchandising, plus anything beer related is secondary to wine. I haven't been to Bayers, but my burnside experiences have not been great. The beer stuff has usually been a mess.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Allan

Post by AllanMar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm

I think we're all biased about what is important as we're primarily brewers. Most of the time when I go to NG Burnside its clear everyone is focused on kits/wine though and I expect that's where the money is. I used to care about sealing hops/etc but over the years I honestly don't find it effects the end product as much as many homebrewers think and I'm a big fan of the brulosophy experiments which frequently show that.

I never used to be a big fan of NG (negative interactions) and avoided them for years and focused on Everwood. Since going back, i email my orders in and they put it together and I pick it up without issue. The prices are a bit high, but have to support it to keep a local option I feel. I wish we had a better local source for bulk grains (their fully bag prices are high), I keep missing the window on the group buys. I do feel bad for anyone going there looking for brewing advice as they don't appear to have alot of knowledge in my experience there.

Overall i'd still recommend NG, but manage expectations. They're becoming more the HomeDepot of LHBS vs your mom and pop hardware store.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:38 pm

A drag that Maritime Beer&WIne went the dino...but never shopped there - only Everwood and NG...NG has been fantastic as far as I'm concerned(BTW they own BrewHQ)...their prices for hardware have been better than Everwood and OBK for me...I do extract propane, Grainfather and most recently cooked up a batch of induction brown ale extract that really surprised me. What's more is that Noble even beat the shit outta Amazon and OBK for my shiny induction ready kettle. And if you want grain, well...my next purchase will be to try a sack from Horton Ridge as their beer was pretty awesome and their prices for their floor malted barley was reasonable (last fall). Brew HQ sold sacks of grain if I recall...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Pretty happy with NG at least to have a quick stop for grain or hardware. Their prices seem great on the hardware and consistently beat Toronto brewing or obk on prices (when I'm pretending that I'm getting a big stainless setup...). Plus 10% off for brewnosers. I imagine if the demand were there, they would have more shops sporting all the fun beer stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 pm

AllanMar wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm
I think we're all biased about what is important as we're primarily brewers. Most of the time when I go to NG Burnside its clear everyone is focused on kits/wine though and I expect that's where the money is. I used to care about sealing hops/etc but over the years I honestly don't find it effects the end product as much as many homebrewers think and I'm a big fan of the brulosophy experiments which frequently show that.

I never used to be a big fan of NG (negative interactions) and avoided them for years and focused on Everwood. Since going back, i email my orders in and they put it together and I pick it up without issue. The prices are a bit high, but have to support it to keep a local option I feel. I wish we had a better local source for bulk grains (their fully bag prices are high), I keep missing the window on the group buys. I do feel bad for anyone going there looking for brewing advice as they don't appear to have alot of knowledge in my experience there.

Overall i'd still recommend NG, but manage expectations. They're becoming more the HomeDepot of LHBS vs your mom and pop hardware store.
I think most people here realize that the brewing side of things is not where the money is being made, that's business. Just a bummer that they don't choose to support it more :lol:

I would hard disagree on the hops, though. It really doesn't take long for hops to go stale while being stored in things like deli containers. I think you *can* get away with it to some extent as a homebrewer if they aren't opened often and you can keep them in the freezer if you choose, but at Noble you have no idea how long those have been in the fridge. When you open up something with an aromatic hop your first reaction should be "wow, that smells great!" not "wow these smell like stinky socks."

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:45 pm

I have said for years that brewers are some of the cheapest people (with there hobby) I have met.

That said you are going to get what you will pay for.

Go to NG and ask for store to store delivery, ask for the product you want.

I am

S

jkdunbar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin Dunbar

Post by jkdunbar » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Stopped into the new NG location on Lady Hammond and I was quite disappointed. The Maritime Wine and Beer store had yeast, small amount of grain, parts, but nothing for beer in the new reno's. Also the new Reno's are worse that the old store.

Bayers Lake outlet is still pretty good!

Taylor Vanbrewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Taylor

Post by Taylor Vanbrewer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 am

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm
$50 for a Festa kit plus $35 to brew it in store, sounds like a sure winner to me.
$35 dollars to allow them to (further) ruin a kit beer by fermenting it at like 28 C. I have no idea why anyone would allow their beer, wine or cider to ferment in that oven of a back room. I had to pick up some hose yesterday, saw at least a dozen white wines cooking in the back room, 18C is hot to ferment most white wine, it was minimum 28C in that place.
Certified BJCP Judge/Punk Rock aficionado/Witless Dullard

Fermenting: Best Bitter

Lagering/Conditioning: Bouchet
Orange Blossom mead

Bottled/Conditioning: Apricot multigrain mixed ferm saison
Mixed ferm saison
Wit
Historic Barleywine

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Taylor Vanbrewer wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 am
Bradbrewsbeer wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm
$35 dollars to allow them to (further) ruin a kit beer by fermenting it at like 28 C. I have no idea why anyone would allow their beer, wine or cider to ferment in that oven of a back room. I had to pick up some hose yesterday, saw at least a dozen white wines cooking in the back room, 18C is hot to ferment most white wine, it was minimum 28C in that place.
As an update, walked by today and saw they had folks outside that were installing some external AC units. Still a little weird to be doing kits without climate control beforehand, but it appears they're fixing that I guess.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”