Ditched the pipe , picked up a bag

A spot to talk general homebrew
Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Ditched the pipe , picked up a bag

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun May 30, 2021 11:05 am

I am the proud owner of a brewzilla 3.1 and I love it. A huge improvement from my previous 3 gallon mashtun cooler and propane fired kettle setup. Having 3 children under 9 makes it hard to do anything for my self , especially investing 4 plus hours into a brewday. During a stuck sparge on a Baltic porter I rescued the brew with an old biab. I then decided to ditch the pipe for the bag on my next brew. It worked awsome and knocked off close to an hour from brewday. Sure there are downfalls to this method , 35L doesn't allow for full volume biab double ipa or imperial stout, I am averaging 69% efficiency and am happy with this method so far. Just wanted to share :cheers2:
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Re: Ditched the pipe , picked up a bag

Post by RubberToe » Sun May 30, 2021 1:27 pm

I've heard of people doing this before. Do you still use the false bottom?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun May 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Yes the false bottom stays, obviously It stops the bag from touching the bottom but it also keeps 3lbs of trub from entering the fermenter. I crush really fine for better efficiency. For what it's worth I purchased " The Brew Bag " along with the hoist and although it was pricey, its a tank. Top notch quality.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sun May 30, 2021 5:19 pm

I'll sometimes do no sparge brews on it, and if I'm doing something like a Berliner, no boil either. Can be nice to have a sub 2hr brew day :lol:

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Right now I have a Common fermenting that was a 30 min boil with no chill. I wrap the top of the brewzilla up and leave it until the next morning. I have done this a few times now with no ill effects that I can find. 2 hr brew days are great

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”