Buying Ingredients During Pandemic

A spot to talk general homebrew
BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Buying Ingredients During Pandemic

Post by BAbrewing » Fri May 21, 2021 9:46 am

Hi All,

Just wondering where you're buying your ingredients during the pandemic. Attempted buying grain off BreHQ but they have nothing in stock.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Buying Ingredients During Pandemic

Post by GAM » Fri May 21, 2021 10:05 am

NG (Burnside and Bayers Lake). Mask and distance in the store and self serve. I don't know if they would prep stuff foe pick up or not.

S

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:21 am

I've done a couple online orders with KJ Urban Winery this month since they have some different malts that aren't available locally. Only $6.99 shipping for orders over $50 and up to 16 pounds.
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:35 am

Noble will prep an order for pickup, just not sure the lag time if you need a recipe prepped. For simple orders they are quick.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sun May 23, 2021 8:29 am

I have noticed lately that the shipping has gone up quite a lot. I ordered something around a lb. or so and the shipping quote was more than what my order was. Thank goodness for bulk buys near me so I can drive to pick hops and malt up. Other than that, yea, I have noticed stock was slim for liquid yeast lately.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu May 27, 2021 9:16 am

I called in an order from Noble Grape over the weekend and it took them a working day to get it through. When I arrived to pick it up I called in and they brought it outside. It worked well, but you need to plan a bit in advance.

BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BAbrewing » Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am

karlp028 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:21 am
I've done a couple online orders with KJ Urban Winery this month since they have some different malts that aren't available locally. Only $6.99 shipping for orders over $50 and up to 16 pounds.
How long was shipping?

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Mon May 31, 2021 8:50 am

Still having problems with shipping. I didn't have any problems the last 15 months, but now it has come to a stand still. Ordered 2 brewing supplies on May 22 and nothing yet. Tracking Canada Post packages doesn't work, like nothing. I do realize how things are in Ontario, but come on, at least tell me where my stuff is. I need a pac of liquid yeast but there is no way in hell I am going to order online. I will drive 90 min. to Toronto to pick it up myself. Shipping costs are getting stupid too. A package less than 2 lbs. coming from Toronto to Peterborough from one of the online supply stores was $41.00 with UPS.

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 pm

BAbrewing wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am
karlp028 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:21 am
How long was shipping?
Last time the order was out their door on a Monday afternoon and arrived on Friday, Canada Post Expedited.
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:05 am

I would order liquid yeast from them but using Canada Post right now is not an option for me. They are too slow. If I can get it in a couple of days, sure, but not the way things are now. I am driving to Toronto on June 13 to pick up a bulk buy of hops but Urban Winery is closed on Sundays.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:15 am

McGruff wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:05 am
I would order liquid yeast from them but using Canada Post right now is not an option for me. They are too slow. If I can get it in a couple of days, sure, but not the way things are now. I am driving to Toronto on June 13 to pick up a bulk buy of hops but Urban Winery is closed on Sundays.
Just opened an Escarpment group buy yesterday actually, usually do one every 3 months or so if you're ever interested. They ship FedEx which has been 2 days at most in my experience. They also ship with a ton of ice packs :lol:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”