burnt by everwoodavebrewshop

A spot to talk general homebrew
oldterk99
Name: oldterk

burnt by everwoodavebrewshop

Post by oldterk99 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Has anyone been burnt by Dave from everwood? I have been a long time customer and had a $100 store credit with him. I went to log in to my online account few days ago but could not do so since the website was offline. I contacted Dave to understand what happened and was fed some story about him leaving the buusiness (left a business that he owned??) and closed the business in april2020 but interestingly his brewery consulting business is still online.

I asked about my store shop credit and if he can either pay it out or send me some supplies to cover the credit. Dave stopped responding to my emails and he is obviously ignoring me.

I am sure that I am not the first person here who got burnt. this is very poor. He silently closed the business and went off the map and is ignoring his debts.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: burnt by everwoodavebrewshop

Post by ConanTroutman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 am

Definitely sucks losing out on a $100 store credit, but sadly it's not really something that's ever going to be paid out when a company folds. In this case he was a 50/50 business partner, left the business, and his business partner decided to sell off the remaining stock/assets and close the company. I would imagine it's rare for things like store credit or gift cards to be paid out, very different from things such as loans or outstanding balances with suppliers

oldterk99

Post by oldterk99 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am

yep losing out on 100 sucks indeed. I learned my lesson to never hold shop credit ever again. I'm probably out of luck here. There is another ongoing thread on this "Is Everwood gone for good?" with background detail and it seems like others got burnt as well . I didn't realize the background detail on this. Dave told me he left the business and it was closed down in April2020. This was done in a silent manner and no one was notified. I asked for more detail on what happened or who took it over but he stopped responding which was rude,..I had to get the scoop online.. At the time of this credit Dave was still the owner, plus Dave still runs another online business , so he is not 100% off the hook here. 100$ is not really a big sum and it's the principle here.

It seems the business was sold and he was just a partner, it's complex to get paid in these situations especially when multiple business partners are involved who are in a dispute. Fortunately this is a small amount and I may have luck with his partner or may not.

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Patrick Walker

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:04 pm

That is tough.

We tried contacting people to see about converting outstanding gift certificates and balances to OBK through multiple channels. Never heard back. If you read this Dave, still willing to look at the liabilities to see if we want to assume it.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:08 pm

oldterk99 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
yep losing out on 100 sucks indeed. I learned my lesson to never hold shop credit ever again. I'm probably out of luck here. There is another ongoing thread on this "Is Everwood gone for good?" with background detail and it seems like others got burnt as well . I didn't realize the background detail on this. Dave told me he left the business and it was closed down in April2020. This was done in a silent manner and no one was notified. I asked for more detail on what happened or who took it over but he stopped responding which was rude,..I had to get the scoop online.. At the time of this credit Dave was still the owner, plus Dave still runs another online business , so he is not 100% off the hook here. 100$ is not really a big sum and it's the principle here.

It seems the business was sold and he was just a partner, it's complex to get paid in these situations especially when multiple business partners are involved who are in a dispute. Fortunately this is a small amount and I may have luck with his partner or may not.
Well, I would disagree with him being on the hook, his other business is a separate entity. As for it being silent, his business partner had the option to and chose not to make any announcements or give any notice. Again, really sucks but I hope you can maybe sympathize with him that you're a emailing over a relatively small amount of money for a business that he built, had to make the difficult choice to leave, and is now in a pretty large legal battle over.

That said, if you're looking for a replacement I've heard nothing but good things from those who've ordered from both Alpha Brew store (Dartmouth), East Coast Hoppers (PEI), and I've had really great experience with Shortfinger Brewing who ship from Ontario. Just sucks getting things local is a pain now 😅

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 pm

I’m in the same boat for $75 but I realize this is a business thing and not a personal thing. This is what makes a difference from a personal business to a limited liability company, debts and assets are held by the company. With that, Everwood was exported in 2018 to Nordic maltz which looks like is in insolventsy according to the allnovascotia article. Basically, get in line as an owed creditor.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

oldterk99

Post by oldterk99 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:20 pm

Well, looks like i'm not the only one than, so probably others chasing them as well not just me.. Dave explained he left the business and his partner closed it down, but when I asked who took it over he stopped responding, there will not be any sympathy from Dave here and the bridge has been burnt...I will not be doing any buisness with these folks ever.. seriously? I had to come on here to figure out what happened?. I get that this business was transferred to Mike(who still owns another business). I tried to contact them but not getting any responses from them either. I will try to pursue this through other channels . I might not get anywhere but worth a shot. lesson learned , no more holding gift cards/shop credit - do everything with credit cards and immediately file a claim when stuff like this happens.

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Sorry to hear that, sucks loosing out :(

Don't hesitate to reach out to us, hopefully we'll be able to help you out with any supplies you can't get locally.

Cheers!

oldterk99

Post by oldterk99 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am

For the record- i got response from Mikes operation. I'm not getting my money back , but at least I got some clarity.

"Michael was already a 50% owner of Everwood/Nordic Malts he did not purchase it. Due to pandemic and other issues the company closed permanently last spring and all stock was liquidated. "

So I guess Dave was still a 50% owner in it and wasn't 100% off the hook...... meanwhile he still runs another business on the side.... I will need to deal with my credit card company i guess.

Yep fortunately there are other vendors to deal with- these 2 will never see a dime of my money ever again.

pathaze
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick Hazelton

Post by pathaze » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:54 pm

I get going out of business and not fulfilling gift cards or store credit. But they were accepting orders a couple days before they closed (which I placed), almost certainly knowing they weren't going to provide the product. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didn't put a stop on the credit card charge, thinking they would be back. Regret that.

So yeah, there's a difference between just closing like many businesses do and still accepting people's money knowing you weren't going to give them what they paid for.

oldterk99

Post by oldterk99 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:02 am

@Pat- yes that not cool at all-
i did not start this thread to bash anyone . I started it to vent and to see if anyone was in the same boat. . Dave has been OK over the years and I get he is going through a legal battle and losing his business has been difficult. A proper i'm insolvent and cant pay you back would have sufficed better than ignoring all my questions. Dave claims that Mike closed it down , but regardless he was still a 50% owner.

Going insolvent or closing a business has a process... Instead of all these incorrect notices for months about "temporarily closure" all members should have been notified regarding the closing. Also we should have been notified about our orders/ store credits/ etc and next steps.... Sometimes in these cases the merchant can honor and pay creditors gift cards back and sometimes not.

i am still following up through multiple channels consumer/credit card departments for answers.

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Patrick Walker

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm

You may get your cash back! Someone is resurrecting the website:
https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:43 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:21 pm
You may get your cash back! Someone is resurrecting the website:
https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/
"Someone" Haha.

That said, if it's a viable replacement for what we lost and saves us shipping fees and time vs. ordering in from Upper Canadia I'm not going to complain.

Edit: Ugh. Or domain squatters. Woof.

ailken
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bill Neklia

Post by ailken » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Thinking it's been assimilated into the hacker-verse. Lots of obscure statements and some broken links on there.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 am

That type of business model is starting to thrive in the states though. Homebrew Supply Shops that also brew beer for sale. Kind of makes sense. That being said, I think the website might be fake.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”