Brewing with potatoes or sweet potatoes?

A spot to talk general homebrew
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Brewing with potatoes or sweet potatoes?

Post by GCR » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Has anyone tried brewing using potatoes, sweet potatoes or other root veg? From what I have read, they dont add much in terms of taste, but can dry out a beer?

I read you could essentially just add mashed potatoes to the mash... but I fear that could lead to a stuck sparge?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: Brewing with potatoes or sweet potatoes?

Post by KB1138 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 pm

I've not done it, but I researched into it a few years ago. I had plans for a sweet potato porter. From what I had deduced the best plan was to boil them thoroughly and smash them, then spread them out thin on a tray and bake them until lightly caramelized, and then add to the mash. I never tried it so I can not speak to the efficacy of the plan but I believe it should work.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 pm

KB1138 wrote:I've not done it, but I researched into it a few years ago. I had plans for a sweet potato porter. From what I had deduced the best plan was to boil them thoroughly and smash them, then spread them out thin on a tray and bake them until lightly caramelized, and then add to the mash. I never tried it so I can not speak to the efficacy of the plan but I believe it should work.
Yeah that is essentially what I have gathered as well. I think I might throw a couple pounds in there and see how it turns out.

JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Post by JayColli » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am

I've been toying with this idea myself for a bit - worth a read:

https://byo.com/article/brewing-with-po ... echniques/

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:23 pm

JayColli wrote:I've been toying with this idea myself for a bit - worth a read:

https://byo.com/article/brewing-with-po ... echniques/
I did read through that one thanks (and a number of other posts on various boards). Should be interesting!

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:40 pm

Is there a particular reason you want to add potatoes? Or are you just interested in trying new things? After glancing that byo article I'm surprised that potato flakes can give you 35 points of gravity per pound.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 pm

CartoonCod wrote:Is there a particular reason you want to add potatoes? Or are you just interested in trying new things? After glancing that byo article I'm surprised that potato flakes can give you 35 points of gravity per pound.
My father in law always talked about someone having brewed beer with potatoes is the main reason. I do loves me some experimenting (expbeerimenting?) is another.

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 am

Jeremy at Big Spruce brewed a potato bitter a couple of years back as a one off. Coming from England myself it was the first commercial NS bitter I'd had that came close to one from back home. Not sure that the potatoes did that or just Jeremy being a master at what he does. If you reach out he might give you some pointers on how to use them in the process.

Taylor Vanbrewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Taylor

Post by Taylor Vanbrewer » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:24 pm

I made a saison a few years back with purple yam. Mostly just contributed colour (purple saison was pretty striking) and a few points of gravity. No significant flavor contribution.

Process wise I baked them, deskinned them and then added the mash to my mash. Added a healthy dose of rice hulls, just in case.
Certified BJCP Judge/Punk Rock aficionado/Witless Dullard

Fermenting: Best Bitter

Lagering/Conditioning: Bouchet
Orange Blossom mead

Bottled/Conditioning: Apricot multigrain mixed ferm saison
Mixed ferm saison
Wit
Historic Barleywine

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Naboo wrote:Jeremy at Big Spruce brewed a potato bitter a couple of years back as a one off. Coming from England myself it was the first commercial NS bitter I'd had that came close to one from back home. Not sure that the potatoes did that or just Jeremy being a master at what he does. If you reach out he might give you some pointers on how to use them in the process.
I had a beer with beets last year (I think? time is kinda meaningless rn) from Big Spruce... Jeremy could brew anything and it would be good.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Taylor Vanbrewer wrote:I made a saison a few years back with purple yam. Mostly just contributed colour (purple saison was pretty striking) and a few points of gravity. No significant flavor contribution.

Process wise I baked them, deskinned them and then added the mash to my mash. Added a healthy dose of rice hulls, just in case.
Thanks for the intel. Rice hulls are a must, methinks. Kibda surprising that from what I have read the taste doesn't really come through for any root veggies... damned greedy yeast just trying to assimilate everything like the borg.

GrahamA
Name: Graham Austin

Post by GrahamA » Sun May 16, 2021 7:50 pm

I did a stout with quite a bit of sweet potato

https://macchomebrew.club/recipe-roast- ... ato-stout/

This fella's recipe was a little much, so I turned down some of the "extra" steps. Final product was good, not discernable as potato which I suppose is good.
Reformed 3 (2) vessel brewer

On tap: Dry Irish Stout, Pre-prohibition Cream Ale
On deck: contracted cider kit, seltzer?, chocolate peanut butter stout?

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”