Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Re: Robobrew owners question

Post by PMackie » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 am

Yeah that happened with my version 3.0 as well. Once replaced I haven't had an issue. That was over 2 years ago.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Anyone with Robobrew notice a temp jump issue?
I have a V3.0.
I notice that when I have the elements turned on and they are on (lights are on) the temp is about 5deg F higher than I get with a external thermometer. Turn the elements off and the temp lowers that same 5deg F or so and lines up with 1-2F of the thermopen I am using. This was tested at 150F.
I know I can do a temp adjustment, just wondering if that will take care of this phantom difference?
I notice during the boil it says closer to 221F when boil is 212F. Haven't tried pausing the panel when boiling to see if it drops to 212F or not.
Strikes me as odd. Reads OK with elements not working, but reads high when elements are working.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Swine » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm

I think I may have found my answer in one of Kegland's videos.
Because the temp probe is so close to the heating elements, it is likely getting some extra residual heat from the elements.
Good Friday evening issue solved, or answered at least.

dfc
Verified User
Verified User
Name: David

Post by dfc » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm
Yeah, I bought the 3.1 board and screen from OBK. The 3.1 board isn't compatible with the 3.0 screen so both have to be replaced. Rewiring it is fairly straightforward, OBK has a diagram available. I found it a little confusing, but if you take before pics so you know which is which you should be fine. Pretty easy repair all around
Hey Kevin - I am going through this right now, and wonder if you can give me a little advice. I ordered the 3.1 board and 3.1 screen from OBK; however, the screen that arrived is EXACTLY like my 3.0 screen. As expected, it does not work (E3 error). Just for fun, I reconnected my old 3.0 screen, and it gives the same E3 error. I am confident that I followed their wiring diagram precisely.
Do you recall if your 3.1 screen was identical in appearance to your 3.0 screen? In every picture I have seen, the 3.1 screen has the "Brewzilla" branding on it. It is clearly different from the prior version.
Having a hard time confirming that I have the correct parts, and would love to hear from you.
On tap: NE IPA
Fermenting: WC IPA
Coming up: Peculier

Swine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Swine » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm

dfc wrote:
KB1138 wrote:
Yeah, I bought the 3.1 board and screen from OBK. The 3.1 board isn't compatible with the 3.0 screen so both have to be replaced. Rewiring it is fairly straightforward, OBK has a diagram available. I found it a little confusing, but if you take before pics so you know which is which you should be fine. Pretty easy repair all around
Hey Kevin - I am going through this right now, and wonder if you can give me a little advice. I ordered the 3.1 board and 3.1 screen from OBK; however, the screen that arrived is EXACTLY like my 3.0 screen. As expected, it does not work (E3 error). Just for fun, I reconnected my old 3.0 screen, and it gives the same E3 error. I am confident that I followed their wiring diagram precisely.
Do you recall if your 3.1 screen was identical in appearance to your 3.0 screen? In every picture I have seen, the 3.1 screen has the "Brewzilla" branding on it. It is clearly different from the prior version.
Having a hard time confirming that I have the correct parts, and would love to hear from you.
I did same, bought 3.1 board and 3.1 display from OBK. Display is identical to the 3.0. My my board wasn’t fried, just some temp issues, both displays work with my 3.0 board.
I am confident OBK is selling 3.0 displays as if 3.1, but I emailed them and Patrick have a very confident answer (not rude) that they are not sending incorrect displays. Said they would have heard about it many times.
I have a co-worker who was having same issue as me, bought 3.1 display and 3.1 board from OBK and he got an older looking display and the 2 won’t work together.
He has contacted OBK as well. Last I heard no resolution, but it’s been a couple months since we chatted about it.

Since I was able to get things patched up and working, I am OK, but I have a board and display I paid for that I can’t use. Also can’t return as they have clearly stated no returns if I try to install in 3.0 robobrew.
I followed Kegland’s upgrade procedure to a T.
OBK picture of the 3.1 display is even wrong (or it was a month ago).
There is an historic pic if you google from OBK that has a 3.1 upgrade kit, it has the proper display pictured. But no stock.

Maybe Patrick sees this and sees that there are multiple people with same issue.

There is a logic flip about temp from old board to new that goes to display. This is why display can’t be mixed. New display has more components on it, presumably to handle this.
3.1 and 3.1.1 displays are identical, just different software.

Be nice to get the part I paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfc
Verified User
Verified User
Name: David

Post by dfc » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:44 am

Swine wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm
dfc wrote:
KB1138 wrote:
I did same, bought 3.1 board and 3.1 display from OBK. Display is identical to the 3.0. My my board wasn’t fried, just some temp issues, both displays work with my 3.0 board.
I am confident OBK is selling 3.0 displays as if 3.1, but I emailed them and Patrick have a very confident answer (not rude) that they are not sending incorrect displays. Said they would have heard about it many times.
I have a co-worker who was having same issue as me, bought 3.1 display and 3.1 board from OBK and he got an older looking display and the 2 won’t work together.
He has contacted OBK as well. Last I heard no resolution, but it’s been a couple months since we chatted about it.

Since I was able to get things patched up and working, I am OK, but I have a board and display I paid for that I can’t use. Also can’t return as they have clearly stated no returns if I try to install in 3.0 robobrew.
I followed Kegland’s upgrade procedure to a T.
OBK picture of the 3.1 display is even wrong (or it was a month ago).
There is an historic pic if you google from OBK that has a 3.1 upgrade kit, it has the proper display pictured. But no stock.

Maybe Patrick sees this and sees that there are multiple people with same issue.

There is a logic flip about temp from old board to new that goes to display. This is why display can’t be mixed. New display has more components on it, presumably to handle this.
3.1 and 3.1.1 displays are identical, just different software.

Be nice to get the part I paid for.

Thanks Kevin. Sadly, this is very similar to my story... except Patrick has lost his professional veneer. He must be getting sick of lying to people about the products he is peddling. I sent the screen shot (as you mentioned, from his own site), and he will not even respond to it. I am going to escalate this, and I will let you know what I discover.
I appreciate your feedback. Cheers!
On tap: NE IPA
Fermenting: WC IPA
Coming up: Peculier

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am

I ordered a replacement board and screen from EastCoast Hoppers and got a display with the brewzilla logo on it. The guy from ECH was really friendly and easy to deal with. When I ordered the part from him he didn't have any listed on his website, but special ordered some in for me. He is getting my business over OBK from now on.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 am

What kind of crush are you all using?

First brew went great, but my numbers were a little low so I made the crush a little finer and it gummed up the screen and eventually blocked the pump.

I'll try using some rice hulls but I feel like with was the grain since the first run was perfect.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:50 pm

I've just been using a credit card to set the gap

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 am

Not a robobrew but I used to have a grainfather and I got my best efficiency with malt conditioning. The finer the malt was crushed the slower wort flowed through the bed and the worse my efficiency got.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Just tested some grains with the credit card gap and it seems much more reasonable for the robobrew false bottom design.

I'm tempted to take the steel pipe that goes up the middle of the malt pipe out and put my biab bag in and recirculate into the grain bed.

First I'll test the new crush size. Brewing is so simple in this I don't dread doing it anymore like I did with the old set up.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm

I don't doubt there's more fine tuning I could do with my crush or grain conditioning, but currently the CC gap gets me good efficiency and I've never had a stuck sparge or mash which is sufficient for me.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm
I'm tempted to take the steel pipe that goes up the middle of the malt pipe out and put my biab bag in and recirculate into the grain bed.
That will work.

S

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:32 pm

After switching to a bag , I won't go back
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:45 pm

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:After switching to a bag , I won't go back
Do you put it in the malt pipe or ditch it all together?

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:03 pm

I got rid of it all together, just leave the falsebottom in amd away you go . I did buy " the brewbag " which is well worth the $80 price tag. Also put in a ratcheting pulley. It makes my brewday much easier. I usually get around 68-70% efficiency. I could probably double crush and do better but I'm lazy.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

TheBucker
Verified User
Verified User
Name: TheBucker

Post by TheBucker » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm

Do you just sparge over the hanging bag?

Kegged: Irish Dry Stout, NEIPA
Fermenting: Lutra 'Lager'
On deck: Grapefruit IPA

TheBucker
Verified User
Verified User
Name: TheBucker

Post by TheBucker » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm

Do you just sparge over the hanging bag?

Kegged: Irish Dry Stout, NEIPA
Fermenting: Lutra 'Lager'
On deck: Grapefruit IPA

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:11 pm

I usually only do a 30 min boil , so most brews I can do a full volume biab. For higher gravity beers I will sparge over the bag

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 am

I think I'll try the bag inside the grain basket. I like sparging on the brewzilla setup it's so simple. The pump getting clogged is a pain

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:07 pm

Very cool new product. 1500 watts might have a hard time keeping up the boil , but the extra mash space for full volume biab is what I like. https://www.noblegrape.ca/products/brew ... tender-kit

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 pm

I've been thinking about that as I also do full volume mashes. I was considering a Grainfather S40 but I see there's an upcoming Brewzilla v4 that is fully bottom draining which is a huge plus.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”