hop harvest dry hop question

A spot to talk general homebrew
joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

hop harvest dry hop question

Post by joe_r_harvie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi, I know there are a lot of posts that discuss my question but I am getting some conflicting information and want to get this right this time. I made my hop harvest IPA a few days ago. I plan to dry hop using my own fresh hops. So my plan is to wait until active fermentation is done, shred my fresh hops in a food processor, put them in a sanitized bag with marbles and sink them the bucket for likely 10-12 days. Will I get the same fresh nose I get from pellets? Is there a better way or am I on the right track? Thanks.
Primary -
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Best Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Re: hop harvest dry hop question

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Why shred them ,hoping for better utilization? I wouldn't leave them for 10-12 days either, I'd pull them out at 3-4 myself to prevent any grassy flavors. Provided you harvested at the optimal time, they should impart the same fresh nose as pellets. I tend to use 3-4 times more fresh hops than pellets as well. Hope that helps!

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Re: hop harvest dry hop question

Post by joe_r_harvie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:26 am

Thanks, I used whole cone hops for the dry hop in a previous hop harvest ipa and the result was little to no aroma compared to pellets. I asked the question on brewnosers back then and was advised to shred them as the beer won't absorb the lupilin if the hops aren't baled or shredded. But I've read so many cases where fresh hops are used without shredding I thought I'd re-ask.
Primary -
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Best Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”