Robobrew repair

A spot to talk general homebrew
KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Robobrew repair

Post by KB1138 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Hey all, having some issues with my Robobrew and I have gone past the limits of my abilities to deal with it. Is there anywhere local you would recommend to take it in a professional opinion? With Everwood being closed I have no idea where to go. I might try a TV/Stereo shop as that's the closest I can think of.

In case you're wondering the problem, my last brew day I burnt out the board. Straight fried it. I ordered the replacement board and screen from OBK and swapped them out as per the instructions. Plugging it back in I got an arc and tripped the breaker. Trying other outlets gave me the same result. I replaced both the plug and the cord thinking there was some damage there that was causing a short, to no avail. At this point I have no more ideas as to the potential cause.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Re: Robobrew repair

Post by Swine » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Does your breaker trip as soon as you plug it in? Or once you try to get heat out of element?
Sounds like you either have something connected wrong, or the element is shorted.
I highly doubt there would be anywhere around here worth taking it to. Mainly because of the cost of a Robobrew verse the cost of repair.

I would look at it for you if you wanted, I deal in electronics for work, have done some poking around in my robobrew as well to replace pump.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 am

I think Ryan is on the right track. Sounds like a short.

You or Ryan or I could power it up with 0 load and add to the load 1 at a time to see.

I don't Robobrew but if they have customer service I would try that as well.

S

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:40 am

Just a thought, what version robobrew do you have and have you got the correct replacement board? I thought only the v.3.0 had issues with the circuit board but I'm pretty sure the replacement is simply another board. The v3.1 replacement board comes with a screen too.
The fact that they sell replacement boards for the v3.1 probably means the same problem exists there but I'd never heard complaints about that. I just thought if you're trying to install a v3.1 board onto a v3.0 machine that could be where your problem is. I've heard it can be done but it is not recommended by the manufacturer and because of that Everwood (when they were open) flat out refused to install one and said I would have to do that myself. I went for the v3.0 replacement!

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 am

Swine: as soon as its plugged in. I wired everything up exactly as was shown

Naboo: I have the v3 and added 3.1 board and screen. I couldn't find a v3 board anywhere

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by Naboo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:22 am

Well that sucks. OBK used to carry both boards. I'm pretty sure there were YouTube videos available for how to change to the v3.1 board as I think the wiring may be a little different but I never went that far.

If you want to get a v.3.0 board you could try contacting Dave from Everwood via his new website:
https://gillettbreweryconsultants.com/
He was the robobrew rep for Atlantic Canada so is probably your best bet if that's the route you want to take.

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Patrick Walker

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:02 am

This is unfortunate. If you bought your 3.0 from us it is easily upgrade-able with no issues to the 3.1 board and screen. Please pay attention to the wiring diagram in the ad.

The original Robobrews were designed for 230V 50HTZ. Changes were made to comply with Canada's 110V electrical grid, certification was issued May 30th 2018. First arrival in Canada was around September 2018. We do not recommend installing our boards on a unit manufactured prior to May 2018.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am

I'd put my money on the wiring. I've gone through a few dozen of these units and the only time I had one flip the breaker was upgrading from a 3.0 to a 3.1. It can be easy to get things backwards if you're going from a diagram which is what my mistake was. That said, it might be a little harder to fix if you don't have the original wiring for reference. If you feel confident enough with electronics, the board does have each terminal labelled with what component is being wired to each. If not, I'd recommend using another unit for reference on the wiring. When you purchased the unit is more or less irrelevant, only meaningful difference will be what version board you have as the wiring on the board is different while the internal electrical components (elements pumps, etc) are identical.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm

ConanTroutman wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am
I'd put my money on the wiring. I've gone through a few dozen of these units and the only time I had one flip the breaker was upgrading from a 3.0 to a 3.1. It can be easy to get things backwards if you're going from a diagram which is what my mistake was. That said, it might be a little harder to fix if you don't have the original wiring for reference. If you feel confident enough with electronics, the board does have each terminal labelled with what component is being wired to each. If not, I'd recommend using another unit for reference on the wiring. When you purchased the unit is more or less irrelevant, only meaningful difference will be what version board you have as the wiring on the board is different while the internal electrical components (elements pumps, etc) are identical.
Thanks for the tip on the board markings, that was the issue. The markings are not identical, but similar enough to discern. I had it miswired and after a quick swap it's up an running again

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:27 pm

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:02 am
This is unfortunate. If you bought your 3.0 from us it is easily upgrade-able with no issues to the 3.1 board and screen. Please pay attention to the wiring diagram in the ad.

The original Robobrews were designed for 230V 50HTZ. Changes were made to comply with Canada's 110V electrical grid, certification was issued May 30th 2018. First arrival in Canada was around September 2018. We do not recommend installing our boards on a unit manufactured prior to May 2018.
Thanks for checking in on this. I didn't buy the unit originally form you, but from Everwood in July/August of 2018. I had confused the wiring diagram you supplied, and the new board works just fine after correcting it. May I suggest changing the image you have in the diagram so that both boards are oriented in the same direction, as that may reduce potential confusion for anyone attempting a replacement

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by Naboo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Glad to hear you got back up and running again!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am

ConanTroutman wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 am
Yup you helped me upgrade my 3.0 to a 3.1 and have been brewing on it without issues ever since. :rockin:
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”