Question about FG and bottling

A spot to talk general homebrew
jlittlechilds
Name: Josh Littlechilds

Question about FG and bottling

Post by jlittlechilds » Thu May 07, 2020 2:24 pm

Hey All,

I'm totally new at this, and for my first batch, i forgot to stop the temperature fluctuation in my house (19 degrees during the day and down to 16 at night) on my auto thermometer, and i think it messed up my fermentation, as my OG was 1.065 and my FG was 1.045 ish. Like an idiot (looked up stuff afterwards, hindsight 20/20), i still bottled this beer knowing that the FG was super high and it likely didn't have a lot of alcohol in it, but whatever - it was my first batch and i'm gonna see it through.

i bottled a week ago and just took a gravity reading for shiggles and:

a) my bottle wasn't a bomb and didn't explode - yay!
b) it wasn't nearly as sweet as when it went in
c) my gravity reading and it was 1.01

There wasn't a ton of carbonation so i didn't think it would ferment that much. I drank the bottle (500ml) and can confirm it's definitely in the 5% range for ABV.

has anyone experienced fermentation like this in a bottle? is my gravity reading totally off because of the carbonation in the beer?

honestly, the beer tasted pretty good, just a little flat. I'm gonna leave it another week and try another bottle, hopefully it's a bit more carbonated but i'm gonna call this a win for my first batch either way haha.

Thanks!

Josh

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Re: Question about FG and bottling

Post by wcturnedec » Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 pm

jlittlechilds wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:24 pm
Hey All,

I'm totally new at this, and for my first batch, i forgot to stop the temperature fluctuation in my house (19 degrees during the day and down to 16 at night) on my auto thermometer, and i think it messed up my fermentation, as my OG was 1.065 and my FG was 1.045 ish. Like an idiot (looked up stuff afterwards, hindsight 20/20), i still bottled this beer knowing that the FG was super high and it likely didn't have a lot of alcohol in it, but whatever - it was my first batch and i'm gonna see it through.
After how many days did you take a FG reading? 1.045 seems awful unless you had a stalled ferment.

Do you remember the temperature of your FG sample?
i bottled a week ago and just took a gravity reading for shiggles and:

a) my bottle wasn't a bomb and didn't explode - yay!
b) it wasn't nearly as sweet as when it went in
c) my gravity reading and it was 1.01
So you took at gravity reading from a bottle? Hard to believe you didn't have insane bottle bombs going from 1.045 to 1.010 in the bottle, that would equate to around 17.5 volumes of CO2 (most beer is between 2.3-2.8 vol CO2).
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:17 pm

First, temps swings from 16 to 19 degrees won't bother the beer at all. That's right in the ball for what you want anyway.
Second, how did you measure a FG of 1.045? And how did you measure a second reading from the bottle of 1.010? A drop of 35 points is enough to cause bottles to explode, there should be no way that the beer is coming out a little flat. I'm going to guess you had some kind of misread on the 1.045 FG.

RDWHAHB. If the beer tastes good now, wait another week for the carb to build up and enjoy.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Thu May 07, 2020 4:17 pm

If you do run into this issue again, definitely don't bottle at 1.045 unless you're trying to make IEDS :lol:

jlittlechilds
Name: Josh Littlechilds

Post by jlittlechilds » Fri May 08, 2020 12:38 am

i took my FG reading after 2 weeks. i dunno, something must have been up with my hydrometer or i fucked up my first FG reading or something...cause yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense really that the bottles didn't disintegrate when i picked them up haha.

i definitely learned my lesson this time!

thanks all

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”