SS Brewtech Brew Buckets

A spot to talk general homebrew
Jason

SS Brewtech Brew Buckets

Post by Jason » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Just curious if anyone has experience with SS Brewtech Brew Buckets.

Having not brewed for a few years I've been intrigued by toys that have come on the market in the interim. After two batches I'm reminded how much I dislike cleaning carboys and dealing with racking; stainless fermenter options with a spigot seem like they would resolve this gripe if I can be convinced to shell out for shiny stainless.

Does anyone have experience with placing these buckets in mini-fridge fermentation fridges, ie the 4.4 cubic foot Danby's? I recently set one up as a seltzer/beer fridge with door mounted taps after sawing off all the door mounted shelving. Would love to be able to use it as a fermentation fridge as well with an Inkbird controller but the dimensions seem tight, on the verge of not fitting between door & compressor hump.

I don't believe the Spike/Anvil/Chapman buckets would fit either. No interest in conical as I don't think it would add much to my process.

Anyone care to sing praises of plastic/PET buckets with spigot as alternatives? Anyone in Halifax have a brew bucket I could borrow ever so briefly (would happily leave collateral) to test the fit?

Described fridge shown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Re: SS Brewtech Brew Buckets

Post by PMackie » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi,

I have three of the Anvil Brew Buckets and they will not fit in a 4.4 cubic mini. The Hump in the back where the compressor is takes up a lot of room with the spigot and handles. I ended up building a collar on mine similar to how a keezer is dome to accommodate them.

Thanks,
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 pm

I have two 6.95 gallon SS Brew Tech buckets that I have mounted gas posts on for pressure transfers and love them. Easy to clean, reasonably priced and the benefits of fermenting in stainless. I use an Ink-bird in a full size fridge for both but the timing of your post was perfect as my keggerator was empty. I took the pic attached of it inside my 4.4 cubic foot Danby I bought many years ago at Costco. It fits 2 ball lock kegs and a 5 lbs co2 tank with dual regulator on the back. It's tight when closed the door with the bucket so I'd recommend turning the bucket to the side and taping or latching the door shut some how. It will fit. I'd even say your taps would be above the bucket. I love these buckets and can't' say enough good things about them. I love to experiment with double batches and having two lets me do that.
SS Brew Bucket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks so much for testing it out! Could likely even put some plywood under legs for more room as compressor hump slopes slightly backward. I was shocked I couldn’t find any pics online, seems people in the US have access to cheap glass door beverage fridges that have been adopted for this purpose by people on the forums, whereas those fridges seem to be ~$500 in Canada.

I may have to adopt your gas post idea if I pick one up.

Follow-up question: Any issues with krausen explosion? Use with fermcap? Had tentatively planned a set-up with silicon stopper with a thermowell ie. https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... -00046.htm but wasn’t sure if blow off tube is a smarter idea. Obviously somewhat beer/yeast/temp dependent.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:43 am

My pleasure! The ply wood under the legs would likely help. So far no issues with Krausen explosions. I can think of a few yeast I would watch closer. I design all my recipes to have 5 g packaged beer going to the keg so IPA's I obviously make more etc so more going into the fermenter. I replaced the airlock hole in the lid with compression fittings. If I had a really crazy fermentation I would remove the fitting and put in the airlock with an attached blow off that would let more yeast out the may get clogged in the gas post. So far no issues and I have lots of room. I do use fermcap in the boil. I was just having this discussion with my brew consultant @mckay75 last night about a thermowell in the lid and was thinking along these lines: https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Ss_Brew ... ldless.htm
There is also an 11 inch option and both may fit in the same hole I have plugged with the compression fittings. It might be better to put it in the center of the lid. I'm going to have to do some more research. :cheers2:

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:32 pm

I have one of the 6.95 SS Brewbuckets and I also love it to death. Mine's the one that comes with the thermowell. I swear I tried to fit mine in my 4.4 cu. ft. Danby and couldn't, even at various levels of elevation, but it looks from the picture like Woody's got a little more space in his door than I have in mine. So it'll definitely be a tight fit. I managed to get a 5.8 cu. ft. fridge at a steep discount at Home Depot last year and it fits very nicely in that.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 am

The SS buckets are for sure a bit more slim than the Anvil ones, but I love my anvil ones so I can't complain too much.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”