Page 1 of 1

Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am
by Jimmy
So I've never extract brewed in my life, however, I was looking at doing an extract lambic.

I was building a 10 gallon version of the recipe at the below link, and couldn't believe the cost to brew an extract beer. Does $75 worth of DME sound right for a 10 gallon batch that's ~1.050? :o

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2 ... ecipe.html

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am
by RubberToe
It's definitively more expensive. I remember 5 gallon extract + specialty grain recipes costing over $30 before I started all grain. Raw ingredient cost is one reason people make the switch.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am
by Jimmy
Crazy. Not sure I'll be doing any extract brewing...considering the same beer has ~$25-35 worth of malt when brewing all-grain.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm
by Celiacbrew
That sounds too high. According to beersmith that should be under 15 pounds of LME. Dave sells them for $8.99 for 3lb. So ~$50 for ten gallons.

For me the $20 would be worth it since extract doesn’t require a mash or a boil.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 pm
by danlatimer
I don't see any LME in the recipe.

3.00 lbs./5g Muntons Wheat DME - everwood $5/lb so $30
3.00 lbs./5g Briess Pilsen DME - everwood $5/lb so $30
0.38 lbs./5g Maltodextrin - everwood doesn't seem to sell it

so yeah over $60 for not even all the extract you need.

It can be a bit pricier to do partial mash / extract brewing

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 pm
by Jimmy
danlatimer wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 pm
I don't see any LME in the recipe.

3.00 lbs./5g Muntons Wheat DME - everwood $5/lb so $30
3.00 lbs./5g Briess Pilsen DME - everwood $5/lb so $30
0.38 lbs./5g Maltodextrin - everwood doesn't seem to sell it

so yeah over $60 for not even all the extract you need.

It can be a bit pricier to do partial mash / extract brewing
You are correct - I was planning to use DME.

Also, with a post boil volume of 46L, I believe Beersmith calculated that I needed 14lbs of DME to reach the target gravity..so $70 worth of DME.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm
by Celiacbrew
How come the DME over LME?

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm
by danlatimer
That's what the recipe the original post had mentioned called for

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 pm
by Jimmy
Celiacbrew wrote:How come the DME over LME?
Apparently it's lighter? I assume the color also means a flavor difference?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk


Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm
by Celiacbrew
I’ve heard that before but it was more along the lines of LME darkens/sweetens as it ages while DME doesn’t. I looked around for info and didn’t find much. I did find an old basic brewing podcast from 2005 with someone from briess. He was talking about darkening taking place over 6 months in a warehouse. Since we can’t easily track production dates that probably doesn’t help you here.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm
by Keith
I haven't used extract since I purchased your gear. I noticed a difference in the beer right out the gate. I say do full mash. Brew what you know and nail it like you do. Ps I'd love a bottle once it's ready lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk


Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 am
by McGruff
I brew with liquid extract in the winter. I mostly do partial mashes, but still go all extract sometimes. I buy it in a 66 lb. pail for $94.00 which comes to less than $1.50 a lb. For a 11.5 gallon batch I use 16 lbs. of extract which comes in around $24.00. OG is around 1.050. I stay away from extract from HB stores as they always have a big taste of extract twang which I don't care for. This bulk extract has never had any extract twang. I buy it from United Canada Malt in Peterborough, Ontario.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:09 pm
by MitchK
yeah, a lambic takes so much work on the cold side I wouldn't skimp on the hot side by doing extract.

Re: Extract Brewing - Cost?

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:06 pm
by Jimmy
MitchK wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:09 pm
yeah, a lambic takes so much work on the cold side I wouldn't skimp on the hot side by doing extract.
According to Mad Fermentationist, a lambic is a good choice for an extract beer. With most of the flavour coming from the fermentation, you can use extract without much, if any, difference in flavour.