Page 1 of 1
Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am
by Halifax_Jeff
Anyone here dry hop their saisons?
I'm close to kegging a batch that was mostly pilsner malt with styrian Golding's and fermented with the yeast bay saison blend and I'm thinking about doing a little dry hop.
Anyone have success or failures to share?
Re: Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 am
by darciandjenn
Just dry hopped my Saaz-based Saison fermented with WY3711 the other day. Will be kegging and sampling tonight or tomorrow... I can let you know it goes...
Re: Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm
by Broob
I have a keg going of Saison (wyeast 3724) that had EKG as the kettle hops and was dry hopped with falconers flight 7c. Turned out great. Grain bill was 70% pilsner, 7% wheat malt and 11% rye malt.
edit - oh and about 10% table sugar!
Re: Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 pm
by Lucas
It can work really well. Choose a variety that you think will go well with the yeast flavour and aromatics in your beer. I like dry hopping saisons with really fruity NZ and Australian hops. I usually dry hop with 1 to 2 oz. in 5 gallons so that the contribution of the yeast isn't completely overshadowed.
Re: Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:01 pm
by Halifax_Jeff
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to keg it and sample the beer once it's carbonated to see which hops might compliment the beer. I've never been a big fan of warm/uncarbonated samples and can't seem to get an idea of what it really tastes like.
Re: Do you dry hop your saison?
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 am
by darciandjenn
Following up - sampled the saison tonight while kegging; I thought the floral/spice notes of the hops really complimented the peppery notes of the 3711 very nicely.