Page 1 of 1

Lager with no starter

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:19 pm
by Mattqwerty89
As the title says I was making my very first lager (Oktoberfest) and i just did what I always do and tossed in a pack of dry yeast(saflager s23). It's been 24 hours dosnt look like there is any activity, no head or anything, did I mess up? :|

Re: Lager with no starter

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm
by Keith
If I remember reading correctly that yeast is a slow starter. Do you see any activity in your air lock? Also what temp is it at?

Re: Lager with no starter

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 pm
by Mattqwerty89
Well I thought I saw a bubble once, it's around 45 in the fridge

Re: Lager with no starter

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:48 am
by Woody
What size of batch and how many packages did you pitch?

Re: Lager with no starter

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:46 am
by Celiacbrew
45f is around 7c. That is too cold for that yeast. Bring it up above 10c and fermentation will start.

Re: Lager with no starter

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 am
by Mattqwerty89
5 gal one package is all I had.... Ok I'll warm it up