Hop shoots are up 2014!!

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm

jeffsmith wrote:Drying them lessens the chances of freezer burn/crystallization since the water concentration is drastically lowered. Basically just lengthens their life in the freezer I believe.

I dried mine using furnace filters I had kicking around and a fan, worked great and only took about a day and a half.
If you vacuum seal, no worries on freezer burn.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 pm
Name: Patrick
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by moxie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:18 am

I got a bit of Cascade out of my first year hops, probably enough to dry hop a few beers:

Image

User avatar
moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 pm
Name: Patrick
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by moxie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 am

I ended up getting a spare vacuum sealer (Rival seal-a-meal) from a family member, so we'll see how it turns out. I will try to use 'em as fresh as possible, but part of me wants to keep them in the freezer for a while to see how effective the sealer is.

maltster
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by maltster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:07 pm

IMG052.jpg
Ok, if you look really close you can see some buds breaking the surface...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by KMcK » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:53 pm

One of mine is budding, too. I like summer starting the first day of spring.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

User avatar
homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Name: Brandon
Location: Tantallon

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by homebrewcrew » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 am

Anyone has any extra hops plants or a piece of a plant let me know. :D
JUST BREW IT

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 am

I'm in the market for a few again myself this year. Anyone have a source locally, or is it too late?
Last edited by mr x on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

wortly
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Charlottetown PEI

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by wortly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am

Just a quick tip for folks sharing plants.

If you are going to clip your first flush of shoots and want to root them, make sure you have a node (where the leaves attached to the main stem) below the soil, or you won't have a rhizome form from the cutting.

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by Timothy Doane » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 am

Not yet!

I got all excited and checked my hop plants (Cascade and Golding) nothing yet, still under a foot of hay! With the warm weather and moisture watch out for slugs - they will eat and kill hop plants fast!

User avatar
derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, NS

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by derek » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 am

KMcK wrote:One of mine is budding, too. I like summer starting the first day of spring.
Apparently at least one was up last week - but I moved mine to the greenhouse, so I should hope so! I haven't even looked.
Currently on tap: Whiter Shade of Pale!
In keg: .
In Primary: Nothing

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by amartin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 pm

mr x wrote:I'm in the market for a few again myself this year. Anyone have a source locally, or is it too late?
What are you looking for?

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Anything. These are for decorative properties, although I may use the hops for some purpose. I'm hoping to manage a few transplants from my yard, but I haven't had a high success rate.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:04 pm

If we do an order again, or if anyone would be willing to part with a rhizome or two. I'd be interested in cascade and fuggles.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by amartin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Does anybody know how many rhizomes can be expected from a mature plant?

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:37 am

Took a look at mine this morning. Each crown has at least a half dozen shoots breaking through the ground. Even my Centennial plant that I was sure had died is showing signs of life. :headbang:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by amartin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Three out of my four are up, although I'm leaving the mulch over them for another week or two.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by bluenose » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am

I'd also like to try and grow some hops. What do I need and where can I get it.

Also, if someone has a link to a useful resource for how to care for them, that would also be helpful
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 am

This is where I've ordered mine from and I know a few others have as well: http://www.crannogales.com/site/rhizomes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They've got a manual that tells you a lot of what you need to know about growing hops. A lot of it relates to growing hops at a larger scale than the home grower, but most of it translates to a smaller operation pretty well.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am

A guy in Scotsburn was selling them in other years. Need to talk to him again. Root around kijiji.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by bluenose » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 pm

mr x wrote:Root around kijiji.
don't you mean 'rizome' around kjiji?

wakka wakka wakka
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by spears104 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm

bluenose wrote:I'd also like to try and grow some hops. What do I need and where can I get it.

Also, if someone has a link to a useful resource for how to care for them, that would also be helpful
I bought a book called "The Homebrewer's Garden" that has a lot of info on how to grow and care for hops on a backyard garden scale. There are also a lot of recipes in the book using traditional ingredients. Its only about $13 on amazon.

Jason
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

User avatar
homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Name: Brandon
Location: Tantallon

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by homebrewcrew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:21 pm

X if you find anyone selling sennd me a pm please.
JUST BREW IT

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Sent Matt (Lynch) a e-mail today. If he doesn't respond, I might try to locate him in the phone book.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Looky here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Robert,

Sorry, but at this time I don't think I will be selling rhizomes this year.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests