1 Brew = 2 Beers?
- sleepyjamie
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 2482
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
- Name: jamie
- Location: Calgary
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
TimG and I do 66L BIAB batches on his electric system. I typically do second runnings using warm water and ferment a 15L batch from all boiled from my kitchen stove top. So far it's been working out really nicely as I get to experiment with different yeast and hops. It literally comes out as a totally different beer. The last second runnings batch was from an RIS which came out to be 1.035 OG at 15L and threw a Blend Sour yeast on it. I'll report back in a year. Soon I will be doing second runnings and adding honey to make braggot. Basically I'm getting more beer at no additional cost. I highly advise doing this. It might add an extra 1.5 hours on your brew day but the benefits are worth it. And if the batch turns out bad its no real extra cost.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
I'm brewing 10 gallons of dry (Irish) stout tomorrow. Is there anything I can add to one of the two kegs to give me two different beers?
Raspberry stout?
Vanilla stout?
Any ideas?
Raspberry stout?
Vanilla stout?
Any ideas?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Parti-gyle, 3 gal of Russian Imperial Stout, 5 of dry stout?
Not a fan of flavoured stouts personally
Not a fan of flavoured stouts personally
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
I've used raspberry in a festa which was descent . Used a whole can of puree.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Cocoa nibs? Lactose?
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
chilli peppers
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Interesting suggestions. Has that been done before Brian, I'd be more interested if it hasn't, caught my attention.
Tabasco sauce?
Tabasco sauce?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Marmite? 
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Ovaltene?
Horlicks?
Horlicks?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
It has been done and it's pretty tasty, would pair very well with a dry stout.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
That sounds good. Taking that theme a bit further, now I'm wondering about ginger ...Kathleen suggested that. I wonder how to get it in the keg sterile. I could boil the ginger and tip the water in the keg?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Soak it in a high proof vodka.GuingesRock wrote:That sounds good. Taking that theme a bit further, now I'm wondering about ginger ...Kathleen suggested that. I wonder how to get it in the keg sterile. I could boil the ginger and tip the water in the keg?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
This. Then toss everything in the keg. With ginger though, I'd worry that it would highlight the astringent characteristics of the roasted malts in the stout.Keith wrote:Soak it in a high proof vodka.GuingesRock wrote:That sounds good. Taking that theme a bit further, now I'm wondering about ginger ...Kathleen suggested that. I wonder how to get it in the keg sterile. I could boil the ginger and tip the water in the keg?
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
I always thought (raw) ginger was like hops: somewhat antimicrobial/antibacterial. A quick Google suggests I'm not entirely out to lunch on the idea, but certainly more reading is warranted.GuingesRock wrote:That sounds good. Taking that theme a bit further, now I'm wondering about ginger ...Kathleen suggested that. I wonder how to get it in the keg sterile. I could boil the ginger and tip the water in the keg?
For the record, though, I agree with Jeff that ginger might reinforce astringency in a dry stout.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Thanks a lot all for your advice on this. 
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
anewton
- Registered User

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Candied ginger?jeffsmith wrote:This. Then toss everything in the keg. With ginger though, I'd worry that it would highlight the astringent characteristics of the roasted malts in the stout.Keith wrote:Soak it in a high proof vodka.GuingesRock wrote:That sounds good. Taking that theme a bit further, now I'm wondering about ginger ...Kathleen suggested that. I wonder how to get it in the keg sterile. I could boil the ginger and tip the water in the keg?
Andrew
R.I.T.
Certified BJCP Judge
Certified Beer Server
Brewnosers' Homebrew Competition 2016
Drink Me Local
R.I.T.
Certified BJCP Judge
Certified Beer Server
Brewnosers' Homebrew Competition 2016
Drink Me Local
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
You should split the batches... One a beer with hops, the next a gruit with yarrow, Labrador tea, juniper berries, heather...
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- Ruby
- Verified User

- Posts: 161
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
- Name: Ruby
- Location: Halifax
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Coffee or chillies.
I helped Alan Bailey at Meander River Farm brew up a batch of chipotle smoked porter. There was a small amount of smoked malt in the grain bill and the chipotles went in after vigorous fermentation had finished. Turned out really well.
I helped Alan Bailey at Meander River Farm brew up a batch of chipotle smoked porter. There was a small amount of smoked malt in the grain bill and the chipotles went in after vigorous fermentation had finished. Turned out really well.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Call me old fashioned, but when I'm looking for an extra flavour addition after fermentation dies down, I usually go for hops.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
Perfect! But not sure I can dry hop a dry stout and make another style of beer.amartin wrote:Call me old fashioned, but when I'm looking for an extra flavour addition after fermentation dies down, I usually go for hops.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
You could split them at flame out, add bunch of american hops at flame out to one and dry hop it later and call it american stout while keeping the other batch a dry stout?
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
They might not necessarily be that different, but if you added enough you would at least see how two different hops tasted in a stout.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: 1 Brew = 2 Beers?
BeerSmith podcast on this: http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/12/07/mu ... podcast-5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests