If we ended up doing 2 runs it would be better to do the clean lambic first so it wouldn't pick up any additional flavorsmcgster wrote:I can post a couple of different options for recipes, Michael Tonsmeire's book "American Sours" has a ton of great recipes and some hints on doing group barrel brews like this.
I think the most reliable way to do this is that the barrel gets steam cleaned (i can do this at the house) then all the wort gets added to the barrel with no bugs in it yet. Chances are there will be lots of bugs in the barrel that get into the pores of the wood and aren't killed by the steam cleaning but we would either start off with a clean yeast and add some other bugs once we hit a desired SG. It really depends on what approach we want to take. I can post a couple different approaches later on.
I'm torn between lambic and flanders red.. both are great choices.
Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Valid point! I'll map out a few options tonight for a lambic.
We should also take a tally on who is contributing what. I'm looking to put 10 GAL in myself. I'm waiting to here when we can get the barrel it could be a few weeks because apparently they are in the middle of harvest.
We should also take a tally on who is contributing what. I'm looking to put 10 GAL in myself. I'm waiting to here when we can get the barrel it could be a few weeks because apparently they are in the middle of harvest.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Let me know when and where. I'll definitely haul my brew gear down for this. I can do a 10 gallon batch on my current setup.

Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
If you follow the Mad Fermentationist on facebook he has mentioned a few times that three of his favourite recipes are
His Wine Barrel Aged Flanders Red
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... s-red.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Berliner Weisse #3
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... -brew.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summer in Brussels (all brett)
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... brett.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also shot him a message saying that we were going to do a group barrel recipe and asking if he had any suggestions other than the ones above (specifically a lambic)
On his blog he singles out this lambic
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... -mash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just some thoughts for everyone to discuss!
His Wine Barrel Aged Flanders Red
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... s-red.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Berliner Weisse #3
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... -brew.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summer in Brussels (all brett)
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... brett.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also shot him a message saying that we were going to do a group barrel recipe and asking if he had any suggestions other than the ones above (specifically a lambic)
On his blog he singles out this lambic
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... -mash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just some thoughts for everyone to discuss!
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
I'm in for 19L of lambic
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Anyone know if a guy can get a lambic in NL?
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
We'll have to think about getting some good quality bugs. I think the yeast bay has a lambic blend called Mélange. I haven't heard many results from it yet but it might be worth trying.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
FWIW Michael wrote back and had some good feedback. He basically said if its a white wine barrel that a lambic would be a good choice but if the barrel is a fresh red wine barrel we should go with a sour with more malt body than the lambic.
I know that these guys age both red / whites in oak so i'll try and find out what it is so we can plan accordingly. I have a feeling that the barrel is from Chardonnay but i'll find out for sure. He had wanted 150 / barrel which i think is fair but he also said he wants in on the end product so i'll offer him a case and see if he'll lower the price. He also farms hops for a few breweries in the area so there is a possibility we could get some oxidized hops that have been sitting around. That wouldn't be overly helpful where we aren't doing one massive brew though.
I know that these guys age both red / whites in oak so i'll try and find out what it is so we can plan accordingly. I have a feeling that the barrel is from Chardonnay but i'll find out for sure. He had wanted 150 / barrel which i think is fair but he also said he wants in on the end product so i'll offer him a case and see if he'll lower the price. He also farms hops for a few breweries in the area so there is a possibility we could get some oxidized hops that have been sitting around. That wouldn't be overly helpful where we aren't doing one massive brew though.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Sounds good, and if we get both red and white barrels we could do both?mcgster wrote:FWIW Michael wrote back and had some good feedback. He basically said if its a white wine barrel that a lambic would be a good choice but if the barrel is a fresh red wine barrel we should go with a sour with more malt body than the lambic.
I know that these guys age both red / whites in oak so i'll try and find out what it is so we can plan accordingly. I have a feeling that the barrel is from Chardonnay but i'll find out for sure. He had wanted 150 / barrel which i think is fair but he also said he wants in on the end product so i'll offer him a case and see if he'll lower the price. He also farms hops for a few breweries in the area so there is a possibility we could get some oxidized hops that have been sitting around. That wouldn't be overly helpful where we aren't doing one massive brew though.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
I'd love to do both, especially once the grain order comes in!
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Do we have a date set for this or a time? I need to be sure I'll be able to contribute and plan a beer accordingly. Would love to get a Lambic or sour going. 
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Well the barrels should be available for pick up in the next week or two. When i get my hands on them i'll post some pics and we will know more about next steps. I'm not sure what kind of condition they will be in and what kind of cleaning they will require. I do have a industrial steamer that i used in stripping room and room of wallpaper from my old house that will be perfect for cleaning the barrel as long as its been fairly well kept.
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Tips on big brewing
https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3150-big-club-brews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3150-big-club-brews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Mark, will this barrel brew happen in New Brunswick?
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Yes i have a spot at my house to keep the barrel at a stable temp.CartoonCod wrote:Mark, will this barrel brew happen in New Brunswick?
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Let's get to work on a recipe/technique soon, if the barrels are coming in the next couple of weeks, we'd like them to remain empty the least amount possible (even with steam cleaning, I thought this was important).
Are we bringing wort, or finished beer? If beer, then we need to decide on a yeast.
Does everyone involved have kegs, or other easy-to-transport containers?
Are we bringing the beer carbed, or still?
mcgster, what's your schedule looking like for time in SJ (I know you split your time out of the province, too)?
Are we bringing wort, or finished beer? If beer, then we need to decide on a yeast.
Does everyone involved have kegs, or other easy-to-transport containers?
Are we bringing the beer carbed, or still?
mcgster, what's your schedule looking like for time in SJ (I know you split your time out of the province, too)?
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
I think we are better off if we add only unfermented wort to the barrel. In speaking with Michael who has done many of these he highly recommended that we don't ferment the wort first.
I can handle doing a suitable starter to kick off fermentation when we decide on a yeast.
I haven't heard back on when the barrels will be emptied... he said he has two for me for sure but he said his #1 priority is the harvest right now.
I'm going to be back for a weekend or two in november, then all december and the first two weeks of january. I was hoping to get the barrels when i'm home that weekend but i haven't confirmed yet. If i'm not around i can have the barrels picked up by the other SJ guys in on this.
I can handle doing a suitable starter to kick off fermentation when we decide on a yeast.
I haven't heard back on when the barrels will be emptied... he said he has two for me for sure but he said his #1 priority is the harvest right now.
I'm going to be back for a weekend or two in november, then all december and the first two weeks of january. I was hoping to get the barrels when i'm home that weekend but i haven't confirmed yet. If i'm not around i can have the barrels picked up by the other SJ guys in on this.
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
I don't have any kegs. Would a plastic bucket with a closed lid work just as good?
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
In a perfect world we could put this:
https://www.thebeerbug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In our barrel and all watch it ferment
https://www.thebeerbug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In our barrel and all watch it ferment
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Yes, was just a bit concerned about oxidation and spilling during delivery.CartoonCod wrote:I don't have any kegs. Would a plastic bucket with a closed lid work just as good?
So, the barrel will be in Saint John, we need to talk about transport of wort to there, for those out of towners.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Is everyone else from the HRM?
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
I'm from HRM
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Any Interest in Barrel Aged Sour
Me too, but if it's going to happen in the next few weeks, I may have to back out. I have some stuff coming up, so the timing won't work for me.
If the wort isn't going to be fermented here, how is it going to get to Saint John first? I don't know how a sour would work, but with regular yeast we'd want to pitch as soon as it's cooled. Is everybody going to brew on the same day and get transported at the same time for this to work?
If the wort isn't going to be fermented here, how is it going to get to Saint John first? I don't know how a sour would work, but with regular yeast we'd want to pitch as soon as it's cooled. Is everybody going to brew on the same day and get transported at the same time for this to work?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests