Clarity Ferm
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Clarity Ferm
Does anyone know how long after pitching your yeast clarity ferm would still work. I received my supplies today and started brewing before I noticed that my clarity ferm wasn't in the package.
I need to order some online unless someone knows of a local source in Halifax. Anyone have a suggestion of who would have the cheapest overnight courier service?
I need to order some online unless someone knows of a local source in Halifax. Anyone have a suggestion of who would have the cheapest overnight courier service?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Clarity Ferm
I've never tried adding it late, however it sounds like you might be out of luck with this batch
From WhiteLabs:
The effectiveness of Clarity Ferm does depend on it's proper use. One parameter is the time of addition, which is the beginning of fermentation.
If you could get your hands on a vial you could always try it, but I don't know how confident in the results I'd be. In terms of a local source, Dave at Everwood Ave Brewshop is bringing it in soon, however I don't think it's arrived yet.This is one reason we don't promote Clarity Ferm as an agent for producing gluten free beer, since we cannot control how it's used, and if used improperly it will not be effective. So to get the most benefit from the enzyme, add it just prior to pitching your yeast.
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Clarity Ferm
Thanks. I will chalk this up to a lesson learned. Always check to make sure you have your mise en place set before starting to brew beer. I now have 5 gallons of really expensive super hoppy beer that I can't drink.
I don't have enough bottles to bottle it and start another batch. Can I give it away to someone once the initial fermentation does down? Do people do that? Would anyone be interested in a three Floyd's zombie dust clone?
I don't have enough bottles to bottle it and start another batch. Can I give it away to someone once the initial fermentation does down? Do people do that? Would anyone be interested in a three Floyd's zombie dust clone?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Clarity Ferm
I'd be really tempted to finish it and test for gluten when it's done. Is there something about the gluten in barley being different and not being so much of a problem?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Clarity Ferm
That's unfortunate
I'd offer to take it off your hands, but Guinges makes a good suggestion - I'd also be tempted to just let it finish and see how it is at the end. I'm assuming that from your username you have Celiac, and like my fiancee probably wouldn't want to be a guinea pig and just try some and see if it bothers you. That being said, if you're interested in getting it tested, I have free shipping on my next order from GlutenTox http://www.glutentox.net/ - PM me if you want to use that to at least save on the shipping for the test kit if you want to go that route.
Michael.
Michael.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Clarity Ferm
Sorry to hear about the timing and missed shipment. There was some talk about yeast and hops helping to remove the irritant from the beer, but you'd want to test it first. Mike or has used those GlutenTox kits with good results. Might be worth using one in this beer, one it's done?
I can probably help with drinking it, if it fails the test. Need to check on available kegs in the rotation. I do love me Zombie Dust!
I can probably help with drinking it, if it fails the test. Need to check on available kegs in the rotation. I do love me Zombie Dust!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Clarity Ferm
Have you pitched the yeast yet?
You could try to get an overnight from here http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... ity/Detail
You could try to get an overnight from here http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... ity/Detail
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Clarity Ferm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ordered some clarity ferm from an online store and paid for the xpresspost. I will dump it in when it gets here. See what happens. My father-in-law has bravely stepped forward to take the beer off my hands if it doesn't work out. He has even offered to buy some bottles so that I can get right into brewing another batch to replace this one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Clarity Ferm
So after much research I have learned that my batch of beer will not be able to be made gluten free. The chill haze molecules are gliadin and polyphenols. They form giant strands of proteins and they can't be chopped up by the enzyme. The good news is I have found a bunch of information on the enzyme. http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/code/ap ... Assess.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like the enzyme is pretty stable. Up to 50c stable. And from another source it even works in really low pH ranges like pH 2. The optimal range is 4-5 but it is still very active in wort pH ranges. For temperatures normal pitching and fermenting temperatures are fine although it looks like warmer is better for the enzyme. This is probably why clarity ferm doubled the recommended dosage. If someone dumped their extract brew into really cold water the enzyme wouldn't work very well, but the binding of the polyphenols to the gliadin molecules would be sped up. So double the enzyme would create a safety cushion for them, especially with novice brewers who would pitch yeast into really cold wort. Oops.
And if anyone has celiac or knows someone with celiac, this paper should provide some hope.
http://m.ajpgi.physiology.org/content/291/4/G621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like the enzyme is pretty stable. Up to 50c stable. And from another source it even works in really low pH ranges like pH 2. The optimal range is 4-5 but it is still very active in wort pH ranges. For temperatures normal pitching and fermenting temperatures are fine although it looks like warmer is better for the enzyme. This is probably why clarity ferm doubled the recommended dosage. If someone dumped their extract brew into really cold water the enzyme wouldn't work very well, but the binding of the polyphenols to the gliadin molecules would be sped up. So double the enzyme would create a safety cushion for them, especially with novice brewers who would pitch yeast into really cold wort. Oops.
And if anyone has celiac or knows someone with celiac, this paper should provide some hope.
http://m.ajpgi.physiology.org/content/291/4/G621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Clarity Ferm
Good thread you are working at.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Clarity Ferm
Just in case anyone anyone was following this, I got a gluten test kit (thanks again Mike Orr) and my beer is gluten free. So this enzyme works wonderfully. Even if you don't follow the directions it might still work out like it did for me. Beer tastes good, I just didn't calculate my priming sugar properly and it is a little under carbonated.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- dean2k
- Verified User

- Posts: 1172
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
- Name: deano
- Location: Sackville, NB
Re: Clarity Ferm
I just put on a batch with Clarity Ferm. Can I get a GF test locally, or do you have to order one online? Any recommendations?Celiacbrew wrote:Just in case anyone anyone was following this, I got a gluten test kit (thanks again Mike Orr) and my beer is gluten free. So this enzyme works wonderfully. Even if you don't follow the directions it might still work out like it did for me. Beer tastes good, I just didn't calculate my priming sugar properly and it is a little under carbonated.
.............................................
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Clarity Ferm
I'm not aware of anyone locally, I've ordered all of my tests online from http://www.glutentox.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - the tests aren't cheap, however, especially after you factor in shipping 
I don't test every batch, I've done 4 beers with Clarity Ferm thus far and my Celiac fiancée has had no issues with any of them. I do plan on testing my next beer (an oatmeal stout), as I've seen anecdotal stories on various forums of people claiming it didn't work as well on dark beers?? I'll know for sure in about 7 days
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't test every batch, I've done 4 beers with Clarity Ferm thus far and my Celiac fiancée has had no issues with any of them. I do plan on testing my next beer (an oatmeal stout), as I've seen anecdotal stories on various forums of people claiming it didn't work as well on dark beers?? I'll know for sure in about 7 days
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- dean2k
- Verified User

- Posts: 1172
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
- Name: deano
- Location: Sackville, NB
Re: Clarity Ferm
Thanks Mike. Just processed the order and you weren't kidding. But if I run 2 batches and both come out under 20ppm, it will be a one-time purchase.
.............................................
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Clarity Ferm
I've made/drank six batches now and all have been good and gluten free as far as I can tell. I've gone as high as 1.076 OG without any issue. From what I can tell the ten ml vial should be overkill for most 5-6 gallon batch.
I have given my beer to a fellow celiac and she didn't have any issues either. I had to give her the warning about drinking live yeast and getting some tummy issues. Yeast doesn't produce quite the same symptoms or at least doesn't feel the same but celiac gives you some paranoia about digestive issues.
I have given my beer to a fellow celiac and she didn't have any issues either. I had to give her the warning about drinking live yeast and getting some tummy issues. Yeast doesn't produce quite the same symptoms or at least doesn't feel the same but celiac gives you some paranoia about digestive issues.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- dean2k
- Verified User

- Posts: 1172
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
- Name: deano
- Location: Sackville, NB
Re: Clarity Ferm
FYI,
The folks at http://www.glutentox.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are currently out of stock and don't expect to ship until mid-to-late August. Beer will be finished before that time. If anyone has an extra home kit they could part with until I can replace it with my order, I'd be grateful for this first time through. Send me a PM.
The folks at http://www.glutentox.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are currently out of stock and don't expect to ship until mid-to-late August. Beer will be finished before that time. If anyone has an extra home kit they could part with until I can replace it with my order, I'd be grateful for this first time through. Send me a PM.
.............................................
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests