Nut Brown Recipe
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Nut Brown Recipe
Hey,
What's everyone's take on this nut brown recipe.
Edit: Just adjusted the recipe as it fell outside the BJCP guide lines for abv.
6.5lb 2 row
2.5lb maris otter
.5 lb victory
10 oz crystal 60
4oz munich
4oz chocolate
1oz Willamette @60
1oz Willamette @ 15
Yeast us-04
What's everyone's take on this nut brown recipe.
Edit: Just adjusted the recipe as it fell outside the BJCP guide lines for abv.
6.5lb 2 row
2.5lb maris otter
.5 lb victory
10 oz crystal 60
4oz munich
4oz chocolate
1oz Willamette @60
1oz Willamette @ 15
Yeast us-04
Last edited by Keith on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Not sure, but Aaron's (Mumblecronch) nut brown was fantastic, lol.
I know, not helpful at all!
I know, not helpful at all!
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Apparently I can't navigate this site from my phone and out it in the wrong section. Ugh lol
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Don't know anything about Browns, but don't like the look of it.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Cronch lol.EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:Not sure, but Aaron's (Mumblecronch) nut brown was fantastic, lol.
I know, not helpful at all!
Actually it helps. I can ask for some recommendations.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Too malty not enough hops? Missing say 14.75 oz?GuingesRock wrote:Don't know anything about Browns, but don't like the look of it.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Keith wrote:Too malty not enough hops? Missing say 14.75 oz?GuingesRock wrote:Don't know anything about Browns, but don't like the look of it.
Did you think about making something like a Newcastle Brown? I'd have a pint of that if you're brewing.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
You mean this from the clone brews book? I've contemplated it. But like to figure out my own recipes. Helps me learn a bit more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Yes That stuff. You're recipe might be good. I have no idea.
Newcastle Brown Ale “no bolloks” English TV ads ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9KWK8M ... verified=1
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/60803-newcas ... 3-campaign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voyw_tUD ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lih3D8X ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0f-NiZfyA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL38iEHY ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7xGlbBAxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYoq_fH64k
A video Review of NewCastle Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0_-pAmuvw
Newcastle Brown Ale “no bolloks” English TV ads ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9KWK8M ... verified=1
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/60803-newcas ... 3-campaign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voyw_tUD ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lih3D8X ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0f-NiZfyA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL38iEHY ... verified=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7xGlbBAxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYoq_fH64k
A video Review of NewCastle Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0_-pAmuvw
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
I've enjoyed a few pints of it. But rather create my own amazing (or black ipa nasty) brown.
Worst case scenario I feed the storm drain again lol. Best case scenario I like the beer and brew it again.
Worst case scenario I feed the storm drain again lol. Best case scenario I like the beer and brew it again.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
I'm not sure my beer qualified as a nut brown. The Google machine says a nut brown is one that's "nutty" rather than "roasty" and I think mine was fairly roasty.
That said, I got some nice feedback on it both from Brewnosers Tasting #1 (submitted as a Mild Brown Ale) and from other people I gave it to (thanks Dave!!). There was definitely some coffee flavor and a little bit of chocolate and maybe some fruitiness. No hop nose or real hop flavor, but a good level of bitterness. It was also a touch sweet due to slightly low attenuation.
It was my first recipe and my first brew and it turned out better than it had any right to. I will definitely be making it again, but probably with some tweaks.
The final recipe looked like this:
(The original thread is here)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65%
Batch Size into Fermenter: 5.5 gal
Amount Grain %age
8.50 lb Pale 2-Row 73.1%
1.00 lb Carastan (30/37) 8.6%
0.75 lb Victory 6.5%
0.75 lb Pale Chocolate 6.5%
0.50 lb Crystal 15L 4.3%
0.125 lb Black Patent 1.1%
Amount Time Hop AA IBU IBU
0.75 oz 60 min Cluster 8.0 % 22.45
0.50 oz 30 min Willamette 5.2% 7.76
0.50 oz 5 min Willamette 5.2% 2.01
Mash:
20 Minutes @145F
60 Minutes @158F
Yeast: White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast
Predicted OG: 1.049
Predicted FG: 1.016
Predicted ABV: 4.25%
Actual OG: 1.050
Actual FG: 1.019
Actual ABV (Calculated): 4.07
That said, I got some nice feedback on it both from Brewnosers Tasting #1 (submitted as a Mild Brown Ale) and from other people I gave it to (thanks Dave!!). There was definitely some coffee flavor and a little bit of chocolate and maybe some fruitiness. No hop nose or real hop flavor, but a good level of bitterness. It was also a touch sweet due to slightly low attenuation.
It was my first recipe and my first brew and it turned out better than it had any right to. I will definitely be making it again, but probably with some tweaks.
The final recipe looked like this:
(The original thread is here)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65%
Batch Size into Fermenter: 5.5 gal
Amount Grain %age
8.50 lb Pale 2-Row 73.1%
1.00 lb Carastan (30/37) 8.6%
0.75 lb Victory 6.5%
0.75 lb Pale Chocolate 6.5%
0.50 lb Crystal 15L 4.3%
0.125 lb Black Patent 1.1%
Amount Time Hop AA IBU IBU
0.75 oz 60 min Cluster 8.0 % 22.45
0.50 oz 30 min Willamette 5.2% 7.76
0.50 oz 5 min Willamette 5.2% 2.01
Mash:
20 Minutes @145F
60 Minutes @158F
Yeast: White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast
Predicted OG: 1.049
Predicted FG: 1.016
Predicted ABV: 4.25%
Actual OG: 1.050
Actual FG: 1.019
Actual ABV (Calculated): 4.07
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Thanks Aaron! I feel confident in my base malt, hops and most smaller additions. 
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
kenny10
- Verified User

- Posts: 272
- Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 pm
- Name: Ken McCulloch
- Location: Williamswood, N.S
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Try a little brown malt....
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Won't the brown malt add a more roasted chocolate profile vs a nutty malty chocolaty flavor compared to the victory and chocolate?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
kenny10
- Verified User

- Posts: 272
- Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 pm
- Name: Ken McCulloch
- Location: Williamswood, N.S
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
I find it can help bring out a good chocolate character when used with chocolate malt. It will ad a nutt flavor but nothing over the top. I think the lovibond is somewhere near 50 so not a lot of roast character compared to RB, chocolate or BP. Just my 2 cents...if I was making a but brown I would add 168 g or 227.... Nothing over the top but as an accent.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
That's how I've always done it. I just thought you might get some ideas from Newcastle Brown.Keith wrote:But rather create my own amazing (or black ipa nasty) brown.
Worst case scenario I feed the storm drain again lol. Best case scenario I like the beer and brew it again.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Nut Brown Recipe
Well I grabbed the above recipe from Dave and will give it a whirl. I'll try the Brown Malt next time.
@ Mark
Yea I looked at it after I formulated this. I plan on brewing that beer sometime, along with a few IPA's in the book, but honestly like brewing my own recipes. Something I can call my own.
@ Mark
Yea I looked at it after I formulated this. I plan on brewing that beer sometime, along with a few IPA's in the book, but honestly like brewing my own recipes. Something I can call my own.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests