leftover grain

A spot to talk general homebrew
asoucy
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Alexander Soucy

leftover grain

Post by asoucy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:20 pm

I have brewed four batches of all-grain beer at this point. I am finding that each recipe has specific ingredient requirements and I am amassing an ever-increasing amount of leftovers of different kinds of specialty malts that never seem to part of the next recipe. I like to try different styles, and each recipe seems to require new ingredients rather than the ones I have. Do I just have to build up a large inventory? Any advice appreciated!

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Re: leftover grain

Post by Peterpasha » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:30 pm

every once in a while, throw all the leftover bits into the kettle and call it "Irreplacable Pale Ale"
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm

Peterpasha wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:30 pm
every once in a while, throw all the leftover bits into the kettle and call it "Irreplacable Pale Ale"
This.

Sandy

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 pm

That, and next time you think you need a new grain for a new recipe see if anything you have on hand is close enough. Some of the brulosophy exbeeriments are showing us that some grains in the same category are more similar than we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:46 pm

If it is of any interest, we offer custom quantities of specialty malts (by the gram). For example, if you have a red recipe that calls for 50g of roasted barley and you don't want to get stuck buying a pound for it, you can just purchase 50g for $0.50 ($0.01/g). Obviously this only makes sense (and was designed for) very small amounts. Once you get over 189g ($1.89) you are just as well off to purchase a pound.

Otherwise, I've always just looked for recipes that use similar ingredients or make substitutions in other recipes. As mentioned, a "kitchen sink" beer is also a good way to use up lingering ingredients. Make sure you keep a log though, you may come up with something great!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”