building a keg brew system

A spot to talk general homebrew
oldehalifaxbrewer
Name: colin wilson

building a keg brew system

Post by oldehalifaxbrewer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm

hi there ..does anyone have a DIY 56 litre keg system that i could see ..I've got the kegs and the resources to build a system ..I've read all kinds online but would like to see a brew system before I start building..

B-boy
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brent Darbyson

Re: building a keg brew system

Post by B-boy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm looking to embark on the same journey, I'd love to follow along if you post your build.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Yep, I do. Where in Hfx are you. Lots of them around and mine is nothing special.

Sandy

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:21 pm

I'd consider just buying pots, if I were you, and saving the kegs to use as fermenters. Keggles were really common when large stainless pots weren't available outside of commercial kitchen supply stores, but now pots remarkably cheap. Pots have the advantage of already have a lid, handles, etc. Ontario Beer Kegs has got a 16 gallon kettle with two weldless connections, a thermometer, and a 3 piece ball valve for $120 <https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/16_Gall ... vanced.htm>. Dave has the same deal on a 15 gallon kettle for $140 (without the discount), but you can just go get it (no shipping): <http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... 15g-ec.htm>. Once you add in the cost of buying your weldless fittings, valve, thermometer, paying to get the top cut off the keg, etc., you're going to be at very close to the same price as just buying a pot.

On the other hand, your kegs are beautiful fermenters for 10 gallon batches with no modification at all (other than pulling the spear): http://mantistech.com/beer/Transfer2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garak

Post by Garak » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm sitting here staring at a keg and debating if I'm going to use it or not. I just cut the top out of it with the plasma cutter and cleaned it up. I had started to cut it years ago with a dremel and gave up 1/4 the way around. Took all of 2 min to zip around with the plasma cutter. If I hadn't already of started the cut I wouldn't of cut it.

It looks like its going to be a bit harder to clean and such than a pot(tall and heavy). I still need to source two more vessels and I'm strongly leading towards buying them from Dave at Everwood. I'm thinking I'm going to just go buy 3 19 gallon kettles with welded bulkheads. Its really too bad he dosn't sell an affordable version with 4 or 5 welded bulk heads(for a HERMS HLT). So I'm into drilling and installing weldless bulkheads anyway.

I could cut the tops off kegs with the plasma for free if anyone needs it. I'm no pro and it won't be a perfect cut. You will still need to clean it up with a grinder.

oldehalifaxbrewer

Post by oldehalifaxbrewer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

hi .. thanks for the reply ..I have two kegs and can probably get another two for free ...I have have access to stainless fittings ...(work)..I have welding gear . all kinds of steel to build a rack .and can weld..I could probably grind the tops off...but cutting them would be better

oldehalifaxbrewer

Post by oldehalifaxbrewer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 am

hi there..just getting the hang of posting on this site ..yes b-boy I'll keep you posted ..and GAM ..I live in fergusons cove and work in north end halifax..I'd like to see your set up

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:45 am

I am in the N-end and should be home most days this week. I'll PM my address and we can arrange a meet up.

Sandy

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi there...how did you make out? I also have a keg setup that I put together on my own, and would be more than happy to show you. It's currently all done weldless (mostly pieced together from home depot), but I am trying to improve on it.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”