Bottling vs Kegging

A spot to talk general homebrew
BigEasy
Name: ian macinnis

Bottling vs Kegging

Post by BigEasy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 pm

I just finished bottling my 5th batch and would like opinions on Bottling vs Kegging. I don't mind bottling right now as I am still just a rookie, but these is a bit of cleaning involved with it. I do like that I can give some of my beer away for others to taste, but wondering if I should keg later down the road. Thanks.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Re: Bottling vs Kegging

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Depends on how much you're drinking. Kegging requires a fair bit of upfront cash, as well as space (places to store your kegs and a kegerator). The foot print is larger, but the effort much less. If you're brewing a fair bit, it can pay off pretty quickly in hours saved. If you want to take beer with you, you can also just fill a growler or fill some bottles with a beer gun or similar.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Kegging is expensive up front. But as far as I'm concerned the cost is worth the convenience. Bottling takes time and work, kegging is very quick and easy. And storing a few kegs and a mini fridge or small freezer doesn't take up all that much more room than boxes and boxes of beer does. I've been kegging for about 6 months now and I would only consider bottling for beers I intend to age long term
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bruce Mailman

Post by the-mailman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Kegging is the way to go. Start small with CO2 and 1 keg. Get a free fridge off of Kijiji and a picnic tap for serving and you`re all set. No more washing bottles and the beer ages in bulk so every pint is perfect. Maybe I`m lazy, but I only bottled once and that was enough for me.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:09 pm

KB1138 wrote:And storing a few kegs and a mini fridge or small freezer doesn't take up all that much more room than boxes and boxes of beer does
This is the truth right here. I can fit a lot more beer in my keezer in keg form than I could in bottles. Now if only someone out there made square kegs so I could really jam the sucker full...

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 pm

imagine if you only had to wash 2 bottles...

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 pm

MitchK wrote:Now if only someone out there made square kegs so I could really jam the sucker full...
Hmmmm.... Square kegs. I like it!
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:33 am

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:34 pm

I bottled exclusively for 10 years or so, filling thousands of them I'm sure. I switched to kegging when I moved this year, since I had an extra fridge and somewhere to put it. Kegging is great in a lot of ways. A keg takes up less space than 55 bottles, I can pour as much or as little as I want, it keeps the beer away from light and heat, other advantages probably. Also, it looks cool, and gives you something to put stickers and magnets on.

Bottling does still have some advantages though:
To start, it's incredibly cheap.
I don't find the time difference to be as big as I thought I would. If you had to clean a bunch of used bottles from the recycling depot, that would suck, but if you get in the habit of just giving them a quick rinse every time you pour, that's probably enough for most bottles. Just keep them in circulation and then they're clean and ready to go for next time, they'll just need to be sanitized.
There's no real setup. With kegs, you may have to build a keezer, and get all of your lines set up. Used kegs often come filthy and need to be taken apart for a good cleaning.
Bottles are also good for any beer that you intend to keep for a while. Sours, brett finished, wood aged, or even just stronger beers that you plan on saving. I don't put something in a keg unless I think it'll be gone in three months (which is still most beers). My beer for the December exchange will all be bottled, because it's a winter warmer and I don't want to tie up a keg with it.

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:12 pm

I have bottled for 3ish years and have no plans on moving to kegs. I like the variety that bottling affords, and I especially enjoy seeing how a beer develops over time (difficult to do in a keg).

When someone comes over and is interested in trying my homebrew bottling allows me to have 5+ or sometimes 10+ different beers that I can offer them, which is nice.

You can have the best of both worlds if you keg beers that should be drunk fresh and bottle beers that can benefit from aging, but I've noticed that many people don't bother to bottle anything after they move to kegs. :)
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

robcoombs

Post by robcoombs » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:22 pm

I moved to kegging not for convenience (though I love that aspect) but because I mainly brew hop forward styles and I think if you want the most out of those, kegging is a must.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

chemistbrewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh Porter

Post by chemistbrewer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:53 am

I think many homebrewers who have the budget to keg their beer will be really happy that they did. You can always pick up a blichmann beer gun and fill bottles easily right from the keg. Your shelf-life should be theoretically longer in the keg since there is no light, and it should be kept cold at all times. The other reason to keg is that if/when you start making 10 gallon or 15 gallon batches you really won't want to bottle of it up. If you have the budget I would highly suggest it :).

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”