T-58: Thumbs up or down?

A spot to talk general homebrew
TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

T-58: Thumbs up or down?

Post by TimG » Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 am

So I have some packets of T-58, but am reading mixed reviews online (wow amazing isn't it? ha). Who has had luck brewing a decent Belgian with this? I'm thinking Saison.. what temps to avoid? Sounds like some have pretty high fusel alcohol notes, so maybe stick to more moderate ferm temps (19-20C)?

Cheers!

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: T-58: Thumbs up or down?

Post by amartin » Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 am

I made a session beer with it once, it should have been a scottish 70-/-, but unfortunately the starter I made with Wyeast 1968 didn't wake up in time and I had this in the fridge from the Boxing Rock black box challenge a few months before. Despite the temperatures getting away from me a little it didn't turn out too over the top with the phenols like I was expecting, and had good attentuation. I think if I had a higher starting gravity it might have been different.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Sun May 29, 2016 7:23 pm

I fermented it a low (~3.5%) alcohol beer and I used a mix of T-58 and US-05 (50/50 rehydrated together). I did this to cut back on the phenols, and it turned out quite nice, it was peppery, but not too bad. I started the fermentation around 17 degC or so and let it warm up from there after 24 hours. I like it because it is easy to use, but I wouldn't use it if I'm looking to make the best beer possible.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 pm

I brewed my one (and only) award winning beer using T-58. It was a saison. Thumbs up (for a dry yeast).

Kingston?
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks guys, Kyle an award winning beer is a good rec. What are the details? Recipe? Fermentation temperature?

Yup, we moved to Kingston. Liking it quite a bit, but only here a few months so far. Great homebrew community so that always helps.

Tim

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:45 pm

I have a couple packets of this still from the black box comp.

Might use them for primary on the start of a solera project and then pitch bugs in secondary.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”