Adjusting ph of beer after its complete?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Adjusting ph of beer after its complete?

Post by mindless2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Hey guys,
I think I screwed up a batch of brew.
I was getting a tartness and when I measured the pH it was 4.3.
Would this account for it?
Is the any way to adjust it now that it's done or am I screwed??

If not can I maybe use the batch to blend and raise it some??

Thanks
Todd

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Adjusting ph of beer after its complete?

Post by Celiacbrew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 pm

pH of 4.3 is normal and shouldn't give you any tartness. your meter could be off and the pH is actually much lower. Or more likely you have something else in there giving you your tartness.

Anything different with your brewday or fermentation? Any smells different with your beer? what yeast did you use and was it a new culture or one you've had for a bit?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Re: Adjusting ph of beer after its complete?

Post by mindless2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 pm

I dont have the recipe handy, but The more research I do, it seems that could be it acetyl aldehyde or maybe acetyl bacteria.?? I do remember that the abv finished about a % or so lower than it should. I kegged it and placed it in the basement for another week....


Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Adjusting ph of beer after its complete?

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Acetylaldehyde sounds like it makes sense. Good luck with your brew.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests