LME vs DME.
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
LME vs DME.
Can anyone give me pros and cons of using LME in place of DME (and vice versa). I'm looking at a DIPA and it calls for both LME and DME.
My understanding is that if I go all LME I should take the required DME and multiply it by about 1.2 to get the LME equivalent.
However, is there a loss in quality if I choose to go all LME?
On the cost side it seems that a kg of DME is quite a bit more than LME...
Thx.
Mike.
My understanding is that if I go all LME I should take the required DME and multiply it by about 1.2 to get the LME equivalent.
However, is there a loss in quality if I choose to go all LME?
On the cost side it seems that a kg of DME is quite a bit more than LME...
Thx.
Mike.
-
Andre
- Verified User

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
- Name: Andre
Re: LME vs DME.
In my experience I haven't noticed any taste difference between the 2.
I often use DME for the simple fact that it's easier to use IMO.
If I'm brewing a extract batch I'll often use LME as it's cheaper and I need a lot more.
I often use DME for the simple fact that it's easier to use IMO.
If I'm brewing a extract batch I'll often use LME as it's cheaper and I need a lot more.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: LME vs DME.
DME is the tool of the Devil.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- darciandjenn
- Verified User

- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
- Location: Halifax
Re: LME vs DME.
DME is the tool of the Devil.
It's pure evil. I use it for starters only because it's easier to weigh out.
-
donking
- Verified User

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 am
- Name: GC
- Location: Shediac,NB
Re: LME vs DME.
LME is cheaper but it can be messy, also be careful not to scorch it. Keep stirring until it's fully dissolved in your wort.
DME is more expensive, but not messy and faster to dissolve in water.
DME is more expensive, but not messy and faster to dissolve in water.
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: LME vs DME.
also lme will darken as it sits, so if you plan to store some for a while, or buy from a shop without a lot of turnover your recipe could end up darker than planned. Personally I dont care, but if you are shooting for competition or the colour matters to you, you may want to consider this as well
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: LME vs DME.
My intent is to buy it on Thursday and brew on Saturday so it won't be sitting around for long.
I am well aware of the potential messiness of the LME...still finding sticky patches of concrete in my garage.
So what I'm gathering is that there's not a huge difference (not shooting for competition level stuff so the colour isn't a priority). As I'm comfortable with LME I'll stick with that.
As always, thanks to all for the insight.
M.
I am well aware of the potential messiness of the LME...still finding sticky patches of concrete in my garage.
So what I'm gathering is that there's not a huge difference (not shooting for competition level stuff so the colour isn't a priority). As I'm comfortable with LME I'll stick with that.
As always, thanks to all for the insight.
M.
- sheppard107
- Verified User

- Posts: 182
- Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm
- Name: Chris S
- Location: Williamswood
Re: LME vs DME.
OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: LME vs DME.
Sticky fucking mess. Goes everywhere and gets in everything.sheppard107 wrote:OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: LME vs DME.
DME is sticky? I thought that was LME.
- darciandjenn
- Verified User

- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
- Location: Halifax
Re: LME vs DME.
The powder gets freakin' everywhere and then as soon as any hint of moisture is involved, it instantaneously turns into a gigantic sticky mess. With LME, you may drip here but you're kind of in control of the situation.
- sheppard107
- Verified User

- Posts: 182
- Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm
- Name: Chris S
- Location: Williamswood
Re: LME vs DME.
Yeah, that's what I thought you'd say. Never hurts to ask thoughKeith wrote:Sticky fucking mess. Goes everywhere and gets in everything.sheppard107 wrote:OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale
- HoweFox
- Verified User

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: LME vs DME.
Yeah I found DME to be a big pain to work with. Would stick to everything and would take forever to mix thoroughly without lumps. I basically went all-grain BIAB because I figured mixing grain would be easier and I didn't mind waiting an hour before boiling.
https://PrivateLadyEscorts.com - Local Chat Dating - No Verify - Anonymous Sex Dating - No Bots Dating Chat
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests