I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to use?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
DannyBoy
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Name: Daniel

I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to use?

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 pm

I have an American Amber kit that somebody made for me as a Christmas gift last year. I'm only now getting to brew it. I know the hops are bad, I've gotten some new ones, but should I replace all of the grain as well? Will it make a big difference or is it something I can get away with? It's only a small batch about 4.5 gallons.

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to u

Post by Woody » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Is the grain milled? Hops sealed? Yeast have a BB date on it? Partial mash or All grain?

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to u

Post by McGruff » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

Chew the grain and see how it tastes. Is it still crisp?

DannyBoy
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Name: Daniel

Re: I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to u

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm

It was sealed and all grain until I opened it today, the grain is still crisp

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: I have a year old kit, are the ingredients still ok to u

Post by Woody » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:59 pm

If the grain tastes good do it!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests