Subsequent brews or cleanup.chalmers wrote:Many larger brewers will have a cold liquor tank to feed their heat exchanger, with the effluent hot/warm water going to their hot liquor tank, saving a bit of work, and reclaiming that energy. Mostly useful for subsequent brews, of course.
Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
Yes that's certainly a good use I'm just not sure I'll be brewing enough to really make good use of that method. But I suppose it would be ok to leave it there awhile.chalmers wrote:Many larger brewers will have a cold liquor tank to feed their heat exchanger, with the effluent hot/warm water going to their hot liquor tank, saving a bit of work, and reclaiming that energy. Mostly useful for subsequent brews, of course.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
So this is the beauty. Just under 400l filled to the lower part of the rim including the cone bottom. If I can find another I'll make one the mash tun and the other the kettle. The other option is to make a mash basket that comes out but it may just be simpler to go with two vessels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
That would make a sweet bottom drain kettle. Also you could do open fermentation a la Anchor if you stretched cheesecloth over the top and bungee corded it.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Challenges or disadvantage to a rectangular brew kettle?
Yeah just the cone bottom alone is about 30 litres. I'm thinking if I strain the wort and pump off the bottom I should get a pretty good amount of beer out of that. I thought of making covers and fermenting in them with SS elements but I can't seem to find more.jtmwhyte wrote:That would make a sweet bottom drain kettle. Also you could do open fermentation a la Anchor if you stretched cheesecloth over the top and bungee corded it.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests