The camps seems to be pretty split between partial and full boils...
I've still got the training wheels so I guess I'm looking for some insight.
Will I still get a decent product if I do a partial boil then top up with cold?
I've read some forum's where it's recommended to spread the addition of the LME into two groups (one at the start, the other with about 10 mins left).
My last batch I did an (almost) full boil, I added about 4 litres to bring it up to 6 gal.
Thx.
M.
Full vs. Partial Boil
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: Full vs. Partial Boil
you will still get great beer with a partial.
The big difference from what I understand is hop utilization, and thats based on the gravity of the boiling wort. So full volume you get better utilization as the gravity is lower, same thing with the other method, you keep the gravity low for most of the boil, thereby extracting the bittering as planned, and then put in the rest of the extract at the end to kill off any germs in it, and then top up later
The big difference from what I understand is hop utilization, and thats based on the gravity of the boiling wort. So full volume you get better utilization as the gravity is lower, same thing with the other method, you keep the gravity low for most of the boil, thereby extracting the bittering as planned, and then put in the rest of the extract at the end to kill off any germs in it, and then top up later
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
-
Bizlair
- Verified User

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am
- Name: Blair
- Location: Charlottetown
Re: Full vs. Partial Boil
I'm not sure what your setup is like, but have you considered doing two separate 3 gallon batches instead of one 6 gallon batch?
This would require having two fermentation vessels available, and you'd have to have time to brew twice.
If these concerns aren't an issue then you could try a partial boil and a full boil. Then you could compare the results yourself. Do side-by-side tastings.
This would require having two fermentation vessels available, and you'd have to have time to brew twice.
If these concerns aren't an issue then you could try a partial boil and a full boil. Then you could compare the results yourself. Do side-by-side tastings.
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Full vs. Partial Boil
You will definitely still get a decent product if you top up with water, assuming the water is clean, not full of chlorine, or nasties that would have been boiled off like the other 5 gallons of wort.
Are you topping up because you want more product, or because you want to reduce the gravity?
As for LME addition, you do want to add it in the boil to sterilize it, and ensure it's well dissolved. If you are brewing a light beer, it probably is better to add it later in the boil, to keep it from caramelizing (and darkening your beer colour). But you do want *some* sugar during the entire boil so that the liquid is wort-like, hence the suggestion to add it in stages.
You are ultimately in charge, so I'd suggest running a couple of experiments to see what you prefer, or share some at the next meeting.
Good luck!
Are you topping up because you want more product, or because you want to reduce the gravity?
As for LME addition, you do want to add it in the boil to sterilize it, and ensure it's well dissolved. If you are brewing a light beer, it probably is better to add it later in the boil, to keep it from caramelizing (and darkening your beer colour). But you do want *some* sugar during the entire boil so that the liquid is wort-like, hence the suggestion to add it in stages.
You are ultimately in charge, so I'd suggest running a couple of experiments to see what you prefer, or share some at the next meeting.
Good luck!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Full vs. Partial Boil
I'm topping up to get to the 6 gallon mark.
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Full vs. Partial Boil
I used to do staged additions of malt extract when I was doing partial boils, one to aide with hop utilization, and second to prevent darkening of the wort due to caramelization.
There are some videos on youtube that compare the same recipe done with partial vs full boils (sorry I can't remember where I found them) and there was a noticeable difference in colour between the two batches.
Saying that, do the best you can with what you have, with your long term goal being acquiring the equipment to get up to a full volume boil.
Cheers!
There are some videos on youtube that compare the same recipe done with partial vs full boils (sorry I can't remember where I found them) and there was a noticeable difference in colour between the two batches.
Saying that, do the best you can with what you have, with your long term goal being acquiring the equipment to get up to a full volume boil.
Cheers!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests