32L fermentation buckets

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Saw one today at non traditional location in the valley to buy brewing products, apparently its designed to let co2 gas escape without the need of an airlock, its a new design, wondering if anyone has used them, and if there really as good as the person tried to tell me, i was going to buy two if they are as i have several wine kits here to get on the go, and currently only have one brew bucket for beer, and one for wine. as i made a bottling pail last week.

I like the look of them as their "clear and mostly see thru" so you can see whats going on, especially helpful as my daughter likes to look at everything while its happening..

Thanks..

Patrick.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by Jimmy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:45 pm

These buckets? If so, they are great.

http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 820#p41820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:01 pm

yep looks just like it, but a couple bucks cheaper lol.. only thing i noticed is the lid doesn't have the rubber gasket like the old school all white buckets in the lid, im guessing thats how they let out the c02, and won't cause an issue? the buckets and lid are like 16.99 at the place i saw them, so if there good i'm going to pick up 2 tomorrow, and get my wine show on the road.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 am

I use those to store my grain in and need a couple more. Where did you find them in the valley?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:51 am

Maders in coldbrook, by rewards and foodland, apparently all pharma saves from there too digby have the stuff so I'm told, I've not made it past coldbrook to check as of late, guess I'll pick one up for sure today. And my mistake they are 18.99 for lid and bucket , yup sold seperatly.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 am

Thats the only style bucket I use...they are awesome.
Easy to measure volumes pre and post
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 am

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... tion-pail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These buckets? They are great, and if more ppl reviewed this stuff to let others know, the word could spread (hint hint) :D

:lol:

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by Keith » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 am

I need to get some of those. My children have a fetish with pulling the air lock out these days.
Also need 50' of beverage line and 3 perlicks for my next jockey.

I feel a visit to Dave's happening soon.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 am

EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... tion-pail/

These buckets? They are great, and if more ppl reviewed this stuff to let others know, the word could spread (hint hint) :D



:lol:

Review coming lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Picked up one of these buckets, put a wine kit in it, niagara mist blackcherry, I know they don't get too agressive in fermentation, so here's hopeing for the best.

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Curious with these buckets if I'm supposed to leave the lid cracked a bit or if it's ok to close it tight. I think I uploaded a pic not sure because I'm useing my phone . But, as u can see my lid is tight, just want to make sure it's not going to pop off on me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by Jimmy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 pm

I always just put it on tight, then cracked it open a tiny bit in one spot - just enough to let it purge the air. There's a picture on here from someone who put the lid on all the way; it was fine, but the lid was all deformed.

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I think I'll take my chances and leave it on and see what happens, I tried the cracked lid with something else and ended up with a huge mess, worst case if it destroys the lid I'll make it a bottleing bucket lol

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by AllanMar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am

You can close em tight ( atleast I always have). The lid will buckle and let the pressure out, it always pops back though. No harm done

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by spears104 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:13 am

I snap mine down, If the fermentation is active the lid will blow up in the middle. If you gently push down on it you can hear the gas escaping around the edge.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

patman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm
Name: Patrick

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by patman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:46 pm

i had to pop the side slightly, i tried pushing down on the middle it wouldn't vent, and i couldn't have it pop the top with me being away. I would still use it with no issues, i think id drill the lid and put in a rubber gromet, and fix an airlock to it that way thou.

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by evanisnor » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:36 pm

I have two of these. They seem to develop a small crease somewhere near the edge of the lid where it buckles, but it's really nothing to worry about. I wouldn't dream of modifying the lid.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by amartin » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 pm

What advantage do these have over the plain white buckets? I'm not overly concerned with being able to see in, and the lids on the white ones can take an airlock if you drill a hole in it. I could use a few new buckets sometime though, I found scratches in another one today. Boo.

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: 32L fermentation buckets

Post by Buccaneer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I just picked one up. The only reason, really, is that every litre is marked off. There's no swinging handle to lift it and it seems a bit thin/flimsy. Also, in my situation, it's a tad too tall, meaning I can't get it into my fermentation chamber without tipping a bit.

Still, I've been making great use of it as a transfer bucket and for measuring mash water.

Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests